1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Regulating Barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Member

I recently purchased a CSMC 20 ga side by side with pistol grip stock, single trigger, and screw in chokes. Outstanding American walnut stock ! Looks good in the gun rack but I can't break clays with it. On a whim I took it to the patterning board at our gun club. Discovered the right barrel shoots 70/30 high and the left barrel shoots 30/70 low ! My brain isn't quick enough to compensate for this mismatch in patterning when I'm shooting the gun. The barrels have screw in chokes but changing them doesn't seem to make a difference in the patterning.

Is there a way of making these barrels shoot to the same point of impact with a 50/50 pattern so the gun can be used mostly bird hunting and for an occasional sporting clays round ? I haven't tried calling the manufacturer at this point. Is this best place to start ?

Thanks in advance
  2. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Re-regulating the barrels will prove to be incredibly expensive. You would need to strip both ribs, regulate the barrels, relay both ribs, and reblue. I would guess the cost would be well over a grand.
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Active Member

You don't say if you are the original owner, but I cannot believe CSMC / Galazans would let that out the door.

Galazans has a checkered past and have done much to try and change that perception. I might contact them directly with you concerns.
  4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Call the manufacturer first!
  5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Briley can make you specific tubes to help.
  6. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

I have one of the CSMC 12 gauge RBLs and it patterns exactly 50/50 at 35 yards. The canting thing is important.

I use my gun for skeet and sporting clays - and even trap when I'm feeling "on". Scores are good at skeet and trap - similar to my 1100 and BT99. Not so good at SC - regardless of which gun I use.

I had a couple of minor issues with the RBL when I first got it. CSMC made everything fine right away.

Don't have any work done on the barrels until you've checked with CSMC. They'll make it right for you.

Larry
  7. jim brown

jim brown Active Member

Would somebody please be kind and explain to me how you can cant a SxS so that one barrel shoots high and one shoots low. Maybe you spin the gun between shots so it is upside down on the second shot?

jim brown
  8. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Jim Brown- The circles represent the barrels, which would also represent your POI. The image would be for a RH shooter.

In fact, if the cant were extreme enough, and the barrels were factory regulated to shoot absolutely dead nuts, you could have a situation where the right barrel prints slightly to the left of the left barrel, and vice versa.

In the case of a RH shooter that canted an O/U, the top barrel would print left of center (and low), and the bottom barrel right of center (and a little high).

Note on the pic: Barrels should still be touching on the "canted" pic, but I was too lazy to correct it.
  9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jim, maybe an engineer could help you understand easier. But one item everyone purchasing a s/s should do first is make sure both eyes are level prior to purchase. If one is set a fraction higher than the other the only option is to shoot one eyed.
  10. jim brown

jim brown Active Member

Martin, I'm still laughing. Glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee or worse.

jim brown
  11. jim brown

jim brown Active Member

BTW, skeet man I don't think the patterns on most double guns print side by side. Hopefully they converge at normal shooting ranges. Unless, of course, the left bbl shoots right and the right bbl shoots left. In such case you would need to shoot slowly so the back of the shot string from the first shot doesn't get hit by the front of the shot string from the second shot which might cause the appearance of one one barrel shooting high and the other barrel shooting low. Please remember that in this case the gun perfectly regulated at the point where the two shot swarms collided which may be pretty close to the muzzle. In general I don't believe it is safe practice to shoot explosive projectiles from a gun that patterns as shown in your diagram until you make absolutely sure it is the shooter who is "cross firing" and not the gun. This does not pertain to O/U guns or drillings which are another matter altogether.

jim brown
  12. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Canting the gun has nothing to do with regulation. If both barrels are regulated properly, canting the gun - corrupt aim - results in the same corrupt P.O.I. for both barrels.

Unless the shooter uses two different cants, the P.O.I. is the same with either barrel, with a properly regulated gun.

The barrels should be regulated to identical points of impact. GAP
  13. jim brown

jim brown Active Member

amboy, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I am putting it back to the top and hope you get some good answers.

jim brown
  14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jim, this is really about accomplishing what you were doing for amboy.

But since I've got room left, wouldn't the axis in ones hips (provided they stayed locked into the gun upon movement towards target) have a play in shot placement as well? You know that as we age one side starts to sink alittle quicker.
  15. RickN

RickN Active Member

JB and MW, you guys are a riot.
  16. Garry

Garry Member

I second what GrandpasArms posted.
  17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

The dickgtax rule for patterning a shotgun:

"The only time a shooter should pattern a shotgun is before he buys it."
  18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Cheetah, thats what I've been told. Guess that its fortunat for me that I've been a one eyed shooter all my life.lol

I've owned 50 some doubles in my life and shot enough of them to know that they are not all regulated equal...
  19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Hazardini Halphcock said both SxSs and O/Us for hunting should print both barrels patterns in the same place at 40 yards, IF, they were properly "regulated". I've seen a lot of Monday guns of both varities shootin all over the board with either barrel. :)

Hap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.