1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Regulated Combo barrels?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BBob, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBob

BBob TS Member

What are Combo barrels regulated to shoot the same poi? Wouldn't a Browning combo be manufactured so both barrels shoot very close to the same poi? Bill

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. You need to do the 13 yard POI test to find out for sure what each barrel is. Bill Malcolm

3. BBob

BBob TS Member

By "regulated" are they meaning machining work on the barrels or just normal adjusting of the comb and ribs? Bill

4. Beretta687EELL

Regulated means where the barrels shoot in relation to where you aim them.

Many barrels do not shoot where they are supposed to. One would assume that a barrel(s) would shoot straight and in the same place, but this is not necessarily the case. I have seen barrels shoot to the left and the right of center. Many O/U barrels shoot different POIs out of the top and bottom pipes. One would expect a trap gun to shoot higher than a field or skeet gun, but this isn't necessarily the case. The only way to know for sure is to pattern it and see.

Adjusting combs and ribs will change where the gun shoots in relation to the POA. This won't affect the regulation of the barrel pipes. Bill Malcolm

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Regulated means the proper adjustments were made prior to welding the side ribs on in an O/U. The standard for both O/Us and SxSs was to regulate both barrels POI at 40 yards for hunting guns.

Todays competition combo guns can be well regulated or well out of the ball park. I call the latter; Monday guns.

Hap

6. Beretta687EELL

Thanks for the clarification Hap. Bill Malcolm

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The very best English SXS shotguns are regulated to 40 yards by slamming the barrels against a heavy wood block. The expert barrel smiths know just how hard to swing the barrel to get the bend they desire.

Pat Ireland

8. steele

steele TS Member

I might be mistaken, but I thought regulated barrels were to shoot at the same spot, be it 30-40-100 yards. Double rifles included

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

YODA100- My comment about slamming the barrels against a wood block is based on what I saw when I had a SXS Holland & Holland made for me. It was a beautiful gun, but I could never shoot it well. The stock fitter made the stock according to the way he thought I should mount and shoot a gun, not the way I do shoot a gun. He could not believe that anyone would have their cheek firmly pressed onto a stock comb.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.