1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

regrets on briley thinwalls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dutchman1968, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dutchman1968

dutchman1968 Active Member

does anyone have any regrets on briley thinwall chokes? How do you like them? Pros and cons? thank you Troy

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Troy. Ihave several experiences withe the thinwalls. all are great. Shoot strate, pattern well and better than others, stay screwed in, not noticeable... Whats not to like?

3. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I also have S-2's....In a Perazzi MX8 o/u barrel. Zero issues-very happy and shooting very well with it! Previously had thinwalls in all barrels of a K80 combo-again Zero issues. And no issues with my Briley subguage skeet tubeset either. Do you see a pattern here concearning anything Briley does? Paul in Virginia

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

After a hundred or so sets for customers and myself Zero complaints. Jeff

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

I have S-1's in a Beretta 686S. This gun is used strictly for hunting- and mostly waterfowl. I'm very happy with the work and the tubes. I had the tubes installed in about 1992 IIRC and it is my goto field gun.

John

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just make sure you take them out and clean them every so often. They're a bear to loosen, if they get stuck. Nothing against the tubes...you just have to be more of a "cleaner" than I am. I found out the hard way - on thin-walls, that wrench doesn't have near as thick of an engagement surface.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I don't know from experience, but I have thin ones for my DeVault gun and I suspect you could damage them easily.

8. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

The Best partabout them, is Briley Stands Behind Them

9. dutchman1968

dutchman1968 Active Member

thank you for the info so far. Troy

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If it is a nice gun, the value in the general market will decrease usually. I would always discourage anyone from aftermarket choke tubes in anything but something that has marginal resale value anyway.

Personally I would never buy a screwed gun - there are plenty of unscrewed ones to chose from. Or just get a factory choked gun that fills the twirling need.

Best of luck with the project.
    JMO of course
    Charlie

11. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

Briley thinwalls are good way to go. I had them installed & have had no problems or regrets. Just make sure you keep them tight while shooting & clean & lubricate them on a regular basis.

CP, Briley makes extended thinwall choke tubes, I have them installed in my MX-8.

Lynn

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I have them and I like them. Like Buzz I did have some trouble when I first bought them. I had other chokes with the threads at the bottom and never thought much about the tubes. As you know Briley puts their threads at the top. I stuck one, ruined a couple of tube wrenches getting it out and called Briley. Briley explained their tubes are made to be installed with a wrench. To be tighten down against the shoulder in the barrel and to be tighten hard, so the powder residue can not build up between the tube and the wall of the barrel. I coat the end of the tube with Break Free and tighten it hard and I've never had any more trouble with Briley tubes.

Ajax

13. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

They are much better compared to mass produced screw in chokes and thread systems. I love the squared threads compared to other systems.

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I have an old 30" Browning Pigeon, 2'nd year of manufacture, that was cyl/cyl. Put their thinwalls in and now it's a great all around shooter. Have fun, Bob

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Really great

You want regular tubes- they make them

You want extended tubes for their thread pattern- they make them

You want tubes that shoot high or to the left or right-- they make them

They stay tight- none of this BS that some people that sell tubes tell you about different metals make tubes come loose--

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have had Briley thread two guns for sporting clays --- a Perazzi MX8 with the S-1 series and a Win model 12 with the S-26 series. No complaints at all --- have been very happy with them both.

Gregg535

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Did exactly what Bob did... put them in my Superposed BroadWay with fixed IM/F and now its a great all around gun for Skeet, Sporting and Pheasant as well as doubles trap with IC/M... bought Cyl, 2 SK, IC and M in my package. 10 years - no issues!

regards all,

Jay

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I know a guy that shoots for a lot of money.He has thinwalls put in then has the barrels bored with the chokes in so they match exactly.Briley also tunes the barrels where they shoot slugs in the same hole with both barrels.He is as good a shooter as there is out there and they do his guns and he swears by them.

19. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I've had at least a dozen barrels screw choked by Briley over a 25 year period of time. Only twice (a Model 12 Winchester 12 ga and a 28 sub-gauge tube) did the choke job result in off-center patterns. The 28 ga choke was so bad that you could tell by just looking at the end of the tube. After contacting Briley, I returned them and they built special eccentric chokes to correct POI. No further problem thereafter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley choke tubes superposed pheasant
is there any downside to briley thinwalls

original briley fixed choke sub gauge tube value