1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registry Cleaner Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Abby Normal, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby Normal

Abby Normal TS Member

Can anyone recommend a Windows (XP & Vista)registry cleaner that is a free download, safe and easy for people who know just enough about computers to be dangerous (to our own PC's)? From what I've read, you can really wreak havoc on your system if you don't know what you're doing. (If I screw up ShootinSue's computer, I'm a dead man!!!!)

Terry

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use the Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.

Nice and easy.

HM

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Most of the available Registry cleaners will allow you to do a free scan. Then after they have found lots of (or more rarely, no) anomalies, you are offered the option to buy the software that will fix the problems.

Here's a link to a review of several, including the one I use, Ace Utilities.

http://softwareindustryreport.com/report/ace-utilities.html

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. Abby Normal

Abby Normal TS Member

Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen. I will check them out.

Terry

5. milkmaster

milkmaster TS Member

I use "CCleaner" reccommended by a few computer shows on the radio. It is free and seems to work well. It will clean files as well as check the register. Been using it for 2-3 years without issues.

Here is a link...

http://www.piriform.com/

6. Abby Normal

Abby Normal TS Member

Thanks guys. I did check out ccleaner before but the reviews kinda scared me off saying it required some experience working with with the registry. I have none. I guess you can back it up before you delete so you can restore items. I just don't want to do something bad to Sue's computer or she'll do something bad to ME! LOL! Biged knows what I mean!

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Dear Abby, (groan)

I would strongly recommend that you NOT use any of the registry "cleaners". I do this stuff for a living and believe me, they can do some damage. CCleaner is not terrible, but you can still do some damage if you get it wrong. Rather than try to fix something with a wrong diagnosis, WHAT are the symptoms? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. If there is a problem, put it out there and we may be able to give you some insight. There are many people that think the registry is the root of all evil and needs to be tinkered with. Unless something is KNOWN to be at fault with the registry, it's best to leave it alone. Post the details of the problem(s) you are experiencing and give us the details of your system. What hardware and what operating system for starters.

9. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Quack Shot. PM sent.
    Terry

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I downloaded eusing and it found 1800 errors in each computer. After running and clearing it didn't seem to make any difference in the speed of the computers. Based on what Quack said won't run it again. Jackie B.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All those invlid entries suck up drive space. Maybe not much, but I still take them out with Eusing every couple months.

I have cclean too, and it is a little more brutal.

Neither one scares me, and I just want to have an uncluttered computer.

HM

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I use PCtools Registry cleaner. Its not free but it works for me.

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Not free but repaired an XP and Windows 7 computer.

http://www.uniblue.com/

14. ShootinSue

Thanks everyone for the replies. I downloaded ccleaner but been a little hesitant to clean anything yet, especially after Quack Shot's warning. Again, Sue's complaining about her PC but if I screw it up.....YIKES!

Terry

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

ShootinSue,
    You have a PM.
    Chichay

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Terry,

Didn't get your PM, so don't know if you got anything resolved. Most important is to determine if there is actually something wrong. When I turn on my eight year old desktop, I usually wonder if it's dragging an anchor, but it's just and old system chugging along.

17. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Terry,
    I've been using CCleaner for a number of years now. Have used it on W2000,
    XP Pro and Vista with not one problem. Plus it asks you if you want to
    backup what you're going to remove. I always do that but never had to use it.
    I consider it very safe for registry new comers. Email me if you have any specific
    questions.
    Another good tool is Microsoft Essentials for Virus removal. It's also free and does an adequate to very good job.

Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA

18. ShootinSue

Guys, I think today I'll call our ISP and have them send a service man out to check our cable signal. We have several signal splitters in the system (we have 2 TV's, the phone, a router and 2 PC's on the whole thing) and once in a while they just go bad. The last time we had problems, that was what Larry the Cable guy found. Since both our PC's are acting up and the service call and splitter replacement doesn't cost anything, I'll give that a try first. I'll report back after the system check.

I do think I need to run a cleaner on Sue's older XP PC. I'm certain there are errors a plenty that need to be corrected. I appreciate all the comments. I think ALL of them were helpful.

Quack Shot, sorry about the PM. Musta been half asleep when I tried to send it. Messed it up I guess.

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.