1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registering A Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BDodd, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Shotguns are not required to be registered; there is no "title" as you might find with a vehicle or even a trailer. In fact, a clear bill of sale would be a good fix. Have a third party witness to the signatures if you want the best document......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

2. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

While not being a California resident ,I believe a bill of sale should suffice in any private party sale or transfer.But check local laws always.your states attorney or police precinct should be able to help you.Mike

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

You have a convoluted situation here. The scenario as stated is a description of a "straw purchase" of which BATFE takes a dim view. If the owner of the firearm lives in Nevada and has the gun there it must be transferred to a California resident through a FFL license holder. If the gun is already in California I know of no way to correct that problem as it would appear it got there illegally either through a straw purchase or an illegal transfer from a Nevada resident to a California resident.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I think that OU3200 has it right. How was the gun LEGALLY transferred to the husband if the husband was a resident of CA? If the gun was never legally transferred to the husband, then it may still belong to the son...... in which case, the divorce would not involve him or his ownership of the gun. However, if someone in CA has possession of the gun, then they (and the son) may have some "splainin" to do as to how this was done legally.

Everyone may be better off to "lose" the gun and forget that it ever existed. It's probably not worth the possible legal trouble it could cause.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;-)

Easystreet

5. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Obviously there was an earlier post raising a question of some sort...

6. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

In California, Interfamilial transfers, Father/Mother to Son/Daughter are not required to go through an FFL. Period. Handguns, if transfered this way, must be registered with the DOJ but it is not done through the FFL, just a form sent in.

Long guns are not registered at all. Shotguns are simply handed from Father to Son. I have done several this way. :)

They only caveat is that the receiving person must be legally able to posses the firearm. They cannot be a prohibited person ;ie a felon, etc.

7. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Geeezzz....
    THIS is what we've come to...?????
    Sorry guys. Just had to comment. I absolutely respect the need to NOT get nailed in a legal fiasco, but...
    We've GOT to take our country back before the only LEGAL transfer will be to "TURN'EM IN".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

registering a shotgun