1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered Targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by djw0119, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djw0119

djw0119 TS Member

Can someone tell me how the registered targets work? I am new to trapshooting and the rule book doesn't really help me.
    Is there some overall database that tracks all your registered shots, how is this done at the gun club? someone watching, your word, etc. How is all this put on your ATA card etc. Do you have to specify you want to shoot some registered shots when at the gun club or do all of them count? I read something about this information being used to determine a person's capabilities and ranking. This may seem like a stupid question to most of you but I am having trouble figuring it out. I want to be able to go and shoot at events some day so a better understanding would be helpful. Thanks for the help.

2. setter

setter Member

First one needs to be a member of the ATA, you can sign up at any registered shoot. Each club desiring to hold registered shoots gets their shoot dates approved by the state secretary, the secretary sends them in to the ATA.

The individual clubs determine the format - the number of targets shot and whether singles, handicap, or doubles. For these events the squads are determined at sign up time. There is an offical scorekeeper for each trap.
    The scores are turned in (from the scoresheets) by the clubs to the ATA. The ATA then tracks these scores by member.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You're close on some thoughts; your ATA card will initially show your starting yardage and that yardage is explained in the rule book. Your singles and doubles class will be determined by the average of your scores in those games but will start at a mid-class, like class B under normal circumstances, until you post enough scores for a meaningful average can be determined from those scores; that too is in the rule book. It is your responsibility to calculate your averages and mark it on your card so that at your next shoot the folks at the handicap table can see your averages in singles and doubles and also see what yardage you will shoot from. When you post some good scores in handicap events, you can and will begin to earn yardage and your card will be punched to your "new" yardage for future notice. With singles and doubles, if you begin to post good scores, your average will determine a higher class - poor scores and your average will determine a lower class. Yes, your scores are recorded permanently at the ATA and you can look up older scores on their web page if you give them sufficient time to receive shoot reports from the clubs and actually get them posted. Just jump in and it will all become relatively clear soon and you can always get some advice at trap clubs - sometimes way too much of it.....Bob Dodd

4. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

djw,

The last two post were very good. I'll only try and add a little because based on something I picked up from your question, I’m assuming you are familiar with the Golf handicapping system.

Unlike golf, when you're shooting for fun or practice you do not record your scores. Only when you're shooting in an actual event will your scores affect your classification or handicap yardage. There are typically two types of events you'll find. Normal ATA competitions and "marathons". Some clubs in order to help their members get the required number of targets registered to avoid penalties in upcoming competitions will have marathon events for the sole purpose of registering targets and establishing your class and yardage. You can check your state ata web site to get a complete schedule. Go to shootata.com then work your way to your state site by the link on the map. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.