1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered Targets w/Steel Ammo - it's a reality!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by scott calhoun, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

The Naperville Sportsman's Club (Naperville, Illinois) recently hosted what is believed to be the first ever ATA registered shoot in which all competitors used steel shotshell ammunition.

Many of you have seen posts from me and other Naperville members (Joe Kuhn, Spitter) regarding our club and the mandated use of steel shotshell ammunition.

For more information about our historic shoot (it was also the first registered targets ever thrown by our club), you can find an article and photo on page 68 of the current (November) edition of Trap and Field.

Scott Calhoun

Wexy thanked this.
  2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Time to move....

Curt

3. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Scott, I recently saw that female running for office was running on the platform of personally shutting you guys down permanently... As well as other completly anti-gun statements. Any chance of her getting elected? Rick Gibbs

4. scott calhoun

Rick -

The way things are going I think there a very good chance that a Dem could get elected in a historical Repub stronghold like DuPage county. Seeing lots of Obama signs where you used to never see anything but Repub signs.

The good news, if any, is that she probably wouldn't have the kind of clout to just make it happen, although she would be in a position to push it as part of her agenda. We still have friends in the right places, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Scott

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Scott,

What were the scores that won the event?

Forrest

6. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Scott,

Thought I would bring this back to the top...maybe you didnt see it???

Forrest

7. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

The winning score was a 99 by Ray Wieser. He missed his first target. That steel shot will do it to you every time.ha ha

I know everyone who hasn't shot targets with steel is concerned about the efficacy of steel shot, but it is not as bad as you might think.

If you are on the target, you can have a good break at 27yrds with 7/8 oz of shot.

The bigger issue in my opinion is getting your steel loads to perform as closely as possible in speed / ballistics and resulting POI to your lead loads so you can shoot them both without having to change where you are pointing the targets.

Good Shooting to all,

Vic Vosen

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What would steel shot do to a high end gun with beautiful concentrics. How did they determine no one was used lead. Did every box of shells have to be held under a magnet?

Lou

9. scott calhoun

Sorry guys, been out of town for a few days - plus it's hard to find actual trapshooting threads with the raft of political crap on here. I stopped looking for a few days because there wasn't much shooting related material on here.

Jerry - regarding if registered targets have been shot with steel, we couldn't find anyone or anyway to determine if they had been or not. I know they are shooting steel at Skyway but wasn't aware they were shooting any registered. I guess that makes us the second!

Regarding what we shoot - we are using 1 oz. of #7 steel in a Vagner wad (from Europe). The factory loads that are sold on site are primarily Winchester 1 oz of #7. A few years ago we had some #6 or #6.5 in a factory load from Remington but it's been #7 ever since then.

Lou - at our range if you don't buy shells at the counter you have to submit your shells to be tested. There is a device that tests individual shells that we are required to have on-site and use for testing shells. We don't test every shell, but we take a random sample out of each persons loads and from time to time the range manager will go to the line and check loads while people are on the line.

Scott

10. Chip

Chip TS Member

"and from time to time the range manager will go to the line and check loads while people are on the line."

Isn't it nice what we have come to: "your papers, let me see your papers!!"

Seems to be right out of the Nazi and or Soviet way of doing things.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

That's when I hang up my trap gun and become a pistol shooter. Somehow it figures in the Peoples Rupublic of Illinois. Ever wonder why we would move from Vandalia, Ohio to Illinois; that's the last place other than Massachusetts, New York or California that I would have moved it to. Doesn't make sense to move the ATA to an antigun state. We'll end up regretting it.

12. scott calhoun

BT -

I has nothing whatsoever to do with being in Illinois. It was a Federal judge who issued the ruling saying we had to have a permit to discharge into waters of the U.S.

The Illinois EPA had the responsibility to issue the permit, and honestly since it's been issued they have really never done anything to make any trouble. In fact those that sued in the first place are constantly filing complaints about violation of the permit (unfounded, of course) and the EPA has never said boo about any of them.

Illinois isn't the issue here.

FlaLagarto is correct - we take the steps necessary to ensure that we can keep the range open. Just like you monitor your range for safety issues, we have to make sure people are following the rules. We know that the people who don't want us open will take any opportunity, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, to make trouble and try to get us closed down. An ounce of lead on top of the tons already there might be insignificant to you or me, but to the anti-gun people it's a violation of the permit and cause for revokation.

Scott

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm one of a few Range Officers at Sportsman's Park... as a public range, its open to the public, but its a privilege to shoot there, not a right. We check shells - that's the deal.

Oh, by the way... we also ask to see your FOID - no papers, no shoot!

regards to all,

Jay

14. Mr Monk

Mr Monk TS Member

As the President of the Naperville Sportsman's Club it's my job to keep the range open. The Federal Judge ruled and the City Council passed an ordinance that only steel shot could be used. The only way to insure our continued enjoyment of Trap Shooting in Naperville is to check everyone for compliance with the law.
    Jim

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Putting a few hundred, or maybe a few thousand, steel shells through a field gun over the course of a life time is one thing. Has anybody done any tests on putting thousands and thousands of steel shells a YEAR through a target gun? I don't believe that there's isn't some sort of damage being done, and when the ATA is forced to go to steel or some other non-toxic (and that day is coming), I'll put away my trap guns.

~Michael

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Too much political crap. The only reason this steel thread exist is because of political crap.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

chip, you posted,"and from time to time the range manager will go to the line and check loads while people are on the line."

Isn't it nice what we have come to: "your papers, let me see your papers!!"

Seems to be right out of the Nazi and or Soviet way of doing things

Now I ask you why is that any different than can be done with any club across the US with using lead shot?????

Slick13, just curious but what good are your guns going to be just sitting in the closet???

18. scott calhoun

Slick -

The knee-jerk reaction will have you sitting on the sideline watching the rest of us.

Our club has been shooting steel since 2001, and some of us have thousands and thousands of steel shells a year thru our trap guns. Kolars, Kreighoffs, Berettas, Brownings, Perazzi. Pick a model and it's probably been shot at our range. We've had no issues at all with steel.

You "don't believe that there isn't some sort of damage being done" . . . what causes that belief - actual knowledge or just knee-jerk hearsay?

Highflyer - this isn't political crap at all. It's anti-gun crap, but not political. The anti-gunners took an environmental approach to trying to get our range closed (i.e. lead is poison) and they were successful. What they didn't count on was our club finding a way to keep the range open (non-toxic shot). They aren't really environmentalists, and this wasn't done to be politically correct, it was done so we could keep our hometown range operating.

Mark - we currently sell factory steel loads for $7 per box, but you can find the new Winchester steel loads at Walmart for around $5 - although that is a relatively new development. Our club purchases steel shot and wads for steel in bulk for use by club members that want to reload, which takes the price of a box to under $4. Our loads are 1 ounce of #7 steel. We have patterned to see which chokes work best with our loads, which is no different that what people do with lead loads.

Scott

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I understand that you have to do what you have to do. I will shoot steel if I have to. I don't even mind shooting steel. But I know it is all political crap that is trying to force me to shoot steel.

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Marked for later read. Ray.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.