1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered Targets - missed application

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

After reading the post by Phil Kiner and the study; I think we'd all agree that only a small segment of American Trap shooters will join the ATA and register any targets. Further, an even smaller segment of registered shooters will take their registered shooting to a competitive level and I believe the former is a missed opportunity for the ATA and trapshooting in general.

Practice can take you only so far... and it needs to be "perfect practice" at that. But how do you truly gauge the progress of practice?!

I think that is where documenting practice on a regular basis, by registering a representative "sampling" of targets should be part of anyone's shooting regime.

If there were a concerted effort to position the registering of targets as a part of more shooters' practice shooting, we'd see membership in the ATA grow, registered target numbers up and ultimately a rejuvenation of the membership through that replenishment with competition numbers stabilizing and incrementally growing. The reliance on youth shooting and development to save the ATA is not realistic.

The revitalization of registered shooting is the marketing responsibility of the ATA, but also every ATA member to ask someone to join and shoot. Efforts have to be focused on groups that have have the ability to be customers...
    including, but not limited to disposable income and time.

Respectfully offered,

Jay

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

the last sentence speaks volumes. mark crist

3. ky4some

ky4some Member

Great post Jay. I posted on the Survey thread that the ATA and PGA have alot in common. Your thread is a perfect example. Every amatuer golfer can get an official PGA handicap card. They do this by entering the score of every round of golf, whether practice or from a competition or league. This establishes an official handicap. There is a fee for this service. Many golfers never actaully do anything with this handicap. Meaning they never enter a competition. But they use the handicapping system as a way to track their progress in the game.

Encouraging more registering of targets is a key to growth of the sport. But it has to be more readily available. In golf you don't have to go to a "registered shoot" to play a round that would qualify to post in the handicap system. You simply play a round whenever and wherever and then log into the internet and log your score. The ATA needs to look at this.

Mike Kamer

4. spitter

Mike... EXACTLY!

read your other post... right on point!

best regards,

Jay

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jay, I wholeheartedly agree with you that we need more shooters shooting registered birds! BUT, until we invalidate target management and strictly enforce existing rules, registered practice may be a dream come true for a few? Our enforcement gang has been sorta lax for quite a spell in that department?

Our only salvation is in the hands of the delegates we elect. There's more and more being elected today wanting what's best for the sport rather than their own shooting egos! It's up to us shooters to elect even more for the future!

Hap

6. spitter

Hap... the USGA and presumably the ATA, is supposed to function based upon the premise of an "honor" system... in today's culture honor is not what it used to be and guilt is severely lacking...

I just don't know what drives individuals to cut corners and cheat - I get no satisfaction from attaining anything I haven't earned... that is a subject for another bulletin board...

Going back to "targets on demand" (target-only registration)... if clubs are pre-registered with their state association, and a group of 3+ folks wants to shoot some registered birds in a particular sub-discipline and a facility representative signs off on the sheets that targets were properly set and scored... let's make it easier to register more birds...

Jay

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jay, I admire your attempt at making our game better overall and do agree we need more membership in addition.

"Going back to "targets on demand" (target-only registration)... if clubs are pre-registered with their state association, and a group of 3+ folks wants to shoot some registered birds in a particular sub-discipline and a facility representative signs off on the sheets that targets were properly set and scored... let's make it easier to register more birds..."

Jay

Don't we have a similar program now in effect? Clubs can throw registered targets called, the big 50s? Three ATA shooters can register their targets with a couple practice shooters in addition.

When I began registering targets with ATA, at almost all clubs having smaller shoots, gave the shooter a choice of shooting targets only for a lower price per hundred. If you choose to shoot for the trophy or play options, you paid a target+trophy fee for the event! It was pretty simple and lots of shooters took advantage of that lower fee! That practice was done away with and today, all shooters pay the same whether or not they play any options. Evidently clubs are satisfied with the targets thrown numbers? If that option was again available to shooters today, would that help increase more participation? I know for a fact it did when I first began!

Aw!, cheaters! BTW, I hate cheaters in our sport with a passion! That carries weight all across the spectrum from shooters managing their averages to failures of enforcing the existing rules!! It's always been said, we must police our own conduct within our sport. So far, I don't see a whole lot of that happening from shooters, delegates or from other elected officials within our sport. Nuff said for now but I'll continually compare my sports history to where we are now, I don't care who it pizzes off!!

Hap

8. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

New shooter here at 29 years old, so I figured I would offer up my point of view on registered shooting. I think alot of it has to do with lack of info, and just plain old nervousness. I am near pittsburgh PA, and I just cant seem to find good info on registered shoots to start with. Yes, its easy to find the moderatley sized tourneys and the large state shoots. However, I am having a hard time finding info on the weekly "Big 50" shoots at local clubs. My parents live in NJ, and they can look on several clubs websites, and the info is readily available. In ten minutes I found 3-4 local clubs who shoot a registered 50 targets, all on different days of the week. I am not having the same luck on Pittsburgh/North Pittsburgh. This is what is stopping me from shooting in a registered tournament. I would shoot at one of these big 50 rounds every week if I had the chance. Once I get a few hundred registered targets under my belt, which will help ease those nerves, then I would be happy to shoot in a tournament. Just my 2 cents in why I havent shot any registered targets yet and continue to shoot practice rounds.

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I really think that the Big 50 events are a good way to entice shooters into the registered game. It just costs an extra doller over the cost of the practice round.
    It is really just registerd practice without the added pressure of a regular registered shoot.

Also helps those of us in the midwest with target requirements as spring weather is often pretty iffy on a given weekend.

I am really surprise that more clubs don't offer the Big 50 events.
    The more targets thrown the better for the bottom line of the club.

ed.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

guinner16,

I assume that you looked on the ATA's website for shoots and clubs near you, right?

11. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

@V10

Yes I did.It lists alot of clubs I know in the Area, but nothing as far as regular registered big 50 rounds. I even logged onto the local clubs websites and didnt find anything. Like I said, I do see registered tourneys, but nothing as far as a regular big 50 shoot that I could look for as practice. I thought it was just a bad time of year, and these shoots have stopped for the winter, but they are pretty easy to find in NJ still. Yesterday I contacted one of the State ATA reps, Frank Pascoe, and asked him the same question. Hopefully he will be able to provide places that offer a weekly/bi-weekly big 50 shoot. Maybe its just not something that is big in this area, and more emphasis is put on the registered tournaments.

Edit - I did check the scheduled shoots listed on the ATA for the local clubs, and there are no discriptions. I cross referenced against a few of the clubs schedules listed online, and they all seem to be practice shoots. My club doesnt shoot any registered trap, and my buddies and I are the only ones ever there shooting trap. Its mainly a sporting clays club and skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.