1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered Targets and Tournaments ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have always associated Registered Targets with promoted Tournaments.

Are there registered targets not associated with tournaments ?

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Hammer1:

There once was (and I believe still are) registered leagues.

sissy

3. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Hammer1 Many small clubs in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Pa and other states shoot ATA just to reg. Middletown Ohio shoots on Wednesday, at least they used to, about all spring and summer just for targets. Registered practice. It used to be the case that nearly all ATA shoots were about compatition and money.

When I started shooting in 1974 to shoot reg targets a club had to have 4 traps, then rules were changed and 50 and 100 targets to a field happened and registered shooting changed.

If you want to get a feel for what ATA was about back in the day read some of Jimmy Robinson's books or Dick Baldwins "Road to Yesterday" also old Trap & Fields are interesting. Brad Dysinger

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

While a tournament is a competition of skilled entrants, I make a distinction between trophy and targets-only programs... and our Club is registering targets in our upcoming singles league...

Jay

5. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

I enjoy shooting 4 traps per/100 as Brad D wrote in his thread & agree w/ him that ATA shoots changed big time when that was lost at some ATA shoots. Steve

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Brad, How many traps did we skip to get to our next trap when we used to "shoot down the line" at the Grand back in the good old days?

7. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My club hosts ATA Marathons, primarily so that our Junior Team can get an average for "real" shoots. It's still a registered event, and other ATA shooters are welcome.

8. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Barry, At the first grand I shot there were two directions, East and West, odd squads one way even the other so you skipped about 8 or 10, then a couple of years after that they split east and west into an east east and a west east and west west and east west so we had 4 starting points and we didn't move as many traps. I can't remember Barry just how many and what years we did that but then they went to the bank system after that , what year I'm not sure but I could look it up.

Barry I'm sure you can remember that you also didn't get to pick your handicap squad. You paid your money and looked for your squad and post on the board in front of the old office. In 1975 my first year on the 27 I got to shoot with the Renfro's from Montana one day and Daro Handy another. Being a pretty new shooter and new to the 27 it was fun meeting and shooting with people from around the country that I would never got to other wise.

One of my beefs about the bank system is that today you can be at a shoot never see any of the grounds but four traps and never see any of the other shooters at the shoot but the ones on those traps.

For the last few years at the Ohio state shoot we have been flopping ends for the 200 bird single events so shooters at least have to shoot on 8 different traps once. Not hardly any complaints and shooters seem to like it. It is more fair also. Brad

9. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Our Winter League offers registered targets. For some of us it's the only chance to meet the minimum target requirement for large shoots.

Dave

10. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Barry The first year that I shot at the grand there were 32 program traps. Split in the middle. 16 east and 16 west.One end was odd the other was even.You would skip 8 numbers to go to your next trap which would actually be 4 traps. This was 1957. The west end of the trap line ended at the driveway that was beside the Shamrock Leather tent and the practice traps were on the east end. I used the Shamrock tent as an example. It was not there in 1957.

Dave

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I too miss the 25 per trap & 3 hole targets but in another way some of the changes did allow smaller 2 trap clubs to hold ATA shoots which hopefully got a few new people to try ATA. I still think that the better shooters would and will prevail no matter what changes are made. In most all sports and business' too the "cream" rises to the top. (Unfortunately this trend doesn't seem to apply to government.) If you don't do a good job you don't stay in business very long or work your way to the top in sports either. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.