1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered Shoots in Utah - Oct09 and Nov09

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by V10, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Ogden Gun Club will be hosting a National Trapshooting Day shoot October 10 - 11, 2009. We will be shooting 100 singles and 100 doubles on Saturday the 10th, and two 100 target handicap events on Sunday the 11th.

Purgatory Clay Sports (Hurricane, UT) will be hosting their season opening shoot November 20 - 22, 2009. Friday's program will consist of 100 each singles, handicap and doubles, Saturday will be 200 singles and 100 handicap, and Sunday will be two 100 target handicap events. Purgatory has recently installed four new Pat Traps so come out and help us put some targets through them.

Programs for both shoots are available at utahtrap.com (see link above). Maps to all Utah gun clubs are available at utahtrap as well as at shootata.com.

I look forward to seeing you at both of these shoots.

Scott Hoover

2. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Hey Scott....is Purgatory still throwing those orange targets against the orange mountains?? I thought I heard someone at Vegas say they are throwing green now.....hope so...that would be the ticket! Jerry

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Jerry, Program says Orange Dome Targets

4. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

ooooooh.....thnx tt! U goin???

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jerry,

I think you're right (that green would be the way to go.)

I haven't shot there yet (November will be my first shoot down there) but I expected that I might suggest to them that they try green. I understand that the background is difficult (as some striated mountains tend to be.) I was thinking that maybe even all black might work too.

Hope to see you and Jennifer there. I understand from JB that the Canadian trip went well.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that presquadding for the Purgatory shoot will open on October 10th at presquad.com.

7. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Hi Scott....yup....Canada was a BLAST! Those guys are the Triple A All American's of goose hunting. A humbling honor to be a part of for sure! Im thinking about ordering a Stock Lock for my Browning Gold..LOL. That is the most 1625fps 3 1/2 inchers I have ever shot in a week...let alone a season! Anyway..yeah Purgatory....very nice people...and great news those demonic traps are gone(dont know what they were....LOL). New Pats are a great move. As you know, ya gotta have target/background contrast to break scores. Solid greens (aka Sage Hill throwing against org/brn mtns) would work very nicely. The orange domes remind me of shooting Missouri Fall Handicap when the distant trees have turned color. Orange against orange can make for a very hoarse scorer..LOL. I still wake up in sweat remembering my 89 doubles..ha ha! Jerry

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Yea, Sage Hill was the club that I was thinking had the most comparable background challenge.

I think that Purgatory, like many clubs that throw skeet and sporting also, are trying to limit the number of different targets they buy. But I'd think that the sporting folks, at least, wouldn't mind green or black targets.

The best way we can influence them to change is by going there and shooting and expressing our opinions as to what we think might make it better. They seem amenable to making changes (evidence the new Pats.)

They have an opportunity (with the regrettable closing of LVGC) to step up and provide a nice place to shoot for that area.

9. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

11. B. Lohrke

B. Lohrke TS Member

skeet and sporting have colors to choose from. the orange dome is "Mr. Trap" of the club idea for shoots. he even throws this at night. something about to much trouble to change when pat traps are full?

black is out of the question. green dome does work in the fall. has been thrown in practice before.

i disagree with color for my vision. hard place to choose the right color of lens to pick up targets in the background and for me to shoot a good practice score.

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not sure why "black is out of the question," but you may be interested to know that orange targets are thrown at night at Sparta too. So I'm not sure that is as damning as I think you are intimating it is.

"Mr. Trap" and I get along well, so I'm reserving my judgment until I actually shoot there.

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

We had 18 shooters in Singles today, and 17 in Doubles at Ogden. Thanks to those who turned out.

Tomorrow we are shooting two 100 target handicap events.

Presquadding has opened for the Purgatory Fall Opener, November 20 - 22, 2009, Hurricane, UT.

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My son Matt and I will be there tomorrow, unless the weather goes to Hell.

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

There were about six squads today, and the weather was cool but not brutal. Ron Green from Pocatello won the first handicap with a 96. Joe Sudbury from Utah won the second handicap with a 95.

Yours truly shot 89/91 from 27, not bad considering it was my first real shoot since double knee replacement in July.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.