1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

registered shoot timing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Sep 1, 2013.

1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I would like some feedback from you shooters who routinely shoot registered targets.

The facts are this: Trap range with 9 trap fields, 200 shooters, 3 one hundred bird events.

The shoot started at 0930 and ended about 1830. The afternoon temps got to 100 degrees.

The problem revolves around a decision by someone, to start only one squad at a time. When I raised the issue, I was told, it is faster to start one squad at a time. The only way to do it faster is to have each shooter take 50 rounds to the line and shoot all 50 without a break, before moving to the next house.

My response is Horse Feathers. But I would like to hear from other. There was no shortage of pullers, all houses were operational...I just don't get it.

Thanks for any feedback.

JON

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Shoot could be over before 2:00pm shoot-offs included if they used all 9 houses at the same time. Good shoot management is a must. Sounds like its severely lacking. And no I've never ran a shoot but I do shoot at several clubs smaller than you named and it doesn't take near that long.

Rend Lake Shooting Complex run by Larry Chinski and John Upchurch operates like a finely tuned clock. No standing around. Events run one right after the other with no messing around. My favorite spot to Register targets.

3. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

That is a lot of shooters Jon. If you ran 100 on a field with 40 squads per event, you would be looking at just under 9 hours for singles & caps. I don't know how you could do it any faster.

If there were 100 entries in doubles with 100 per field, you would add another 2 hours for a total of 11 hours without shoot offs.

Matt, I would like to see your math on that one.

Jon, maybe you meant 200 entries not shooters? At 100 per field with 16 squads per event that would be 3 1/2 hours for singles and caps. 40 doubles entries would add about 40 minutes for a total of around 4 1/4 hours plus 30 minutes to reset the fields plus extra for shoot off time. That would match Matt's estimate. Harv Shell

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Harv, I assumed what you state that it was 200 total entries. If indeed that small club draws 200 shooters and they get even just 500 entries from them through the 3 events, they are doing something right. Time to expand.

But I assumed and you know what happens when we do that.

5. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I think the point he is trying to make is that with shooters ready and empty and staffed traps there, time is being wasted. We do the same at our club and it frustrates me too. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Having 'run' several shoots - I was the Alaska president for four years - and our state shoot would have 3 100 bird events in a day, with about 100 shooters on a Friday.

We would start about 8 and get done about 330ish. so to double the number of shooters (or more) and get done at 6 doesn't shock me at all. Sounds pretty well run to me.

We would have run two banks of four traps, and put a squad out on one and five. When they moved to two and six, the next squads would have started - you feed the squads in, so to speak. And yes, the last couple traps sit empty for a bit until the squads get there.

If you're really on your game, you start the SECOND EVENT once the last squads get to the third trap on their bank. So the 'caps are starting while the singles are finishing...

In short, we would have done it the same way...

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Shotgun start, all traps being used at the same time ... Center trap shoots all 100 on that trap, cannot shoot center trap more than one event per day, other traps 50/50 ... Traps 1,2, 3, 4, 5,6, 7, 8 switch back and forth, Trap 5 all 100, will cut the time by 20% or more if the shooters co operate and don't take lunch breaks between 50's ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shotgun start is the way to go. You are utilizing all the fields immediately and gain at least an hour.

Worked well at Casa Grande the last time I was there. (the green targets were great also)

HM

9. wrd

wrd Member

It would seem as though any time a field was not in use after 9:30 that time was being wasted.
    Personally, it really p...es me off to show up and sign in for a 9:30 start and have to wait until 10 or 11 to shoot. Having seen my scores on days like this I now just pack up and go home.

10. TF

TF Active Member

The most efficient use of 9 fields is to have three banks, starting three squads at a time.( One squad on each bank) First wave shoots 25-25-50, second 25-50-25, third 50-25-25 then repeat. This is the fastest way to handle a larger crowd using a 9 trap layout. Did it this way for years, whether using 3, 6, or 9 fields.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What TF says. The use that formula at Hopkinsville, KY. Works slick.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What keeps the 25 from waiting on the 50 to finish on the first wave, the first 25 from waiting on the 50 on the second waive, and the two 25's from sitting empty on the third wave?

13. TF

TF Active Member

Dave;

Most of the time every one is shooting their 50's at the same time:

25-25-50
    25-50-25
    50-25-25

Since the first squad is followed by the second by the third it all should line up barring breakdowns or very slow squads.

I ran shoots this way for years, although we often only used six traps (2 banks). In the handset days it's saved the club a little on labor and still kept things moving along.

Writing the plan across the top of the score sheet (Sq. 1. 25-25-50), etc. helped get shooters accustomed to the plan and keep it moving.

14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I shot The Rebel Yell Tournament at Dixie Trap and Skeet in Montgomery, Al. over the holiday weekend and the format TF cited was employed. It worked well; very efficient use of the trap fields.

Doc

15. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

There is one club in upstate NY (Mt. Morris) who has a 5 trap field. They generally draw 75 shooters or so, and a few years ago sstarted something new to them that has worked extreemly well.

They use 4 fields for the singles and caps event (25 per), and have one field that is set up for doubles all day long (All 100 on that one field)...When a group has either finished shooting singles or has to wait, they can get 4 or 5 guys together and go out and shoot thier doubles when they please. This going on while the Singles and Caps events are going works well for them.

This cuts their shooting time by almost 1/3 because doubles is being shot at the same time as the other events, and the traps don't need ot be set...

Interesting concept, and it may well serve a 9 field club well. Perhaps worth a try.

Perhaps if Dave Cichelli from Mt. Morris reads this, he can comment.

Dave in SC

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Some time advantage could had been realized by starting the shooters 4 wide shooting 50 targets per house. But you are still talking about 3 hours per event so the actual results were not all that bad. In reality they have an 8 trap club with a spare/practice trap. Trying to get that ninth trap into the scheduled events is confusing and creates more problems than it resolves, also it gives you no contingency plan.

Looking at it from the perspective of a guy involved with operating a small (7 trap) club, I see the 200 shooter turn out as a good thing because the club will make good money but a not so good thing because you are pushed to the limit and everyone will have a very long day. Expanding the facility probably doesn't make sense if this is the once a year big turn out. This leads to the option of either limiting the number of shooters or just having two 100 bird events per day. Neither is something you really want to do as a club operator.

But the one thing I haven't heard much of in this thread, and probably never occured to the OP, what about the folks running the shoot? Ever think about thanking them for the great effort they are putting forth or better yet offering a helping hand? Remember, they are just guys like the rest of you trying their best so you can a good time. Your attitude about this particular point will make all the difference when you are pondering whether you had a good time or not.

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What TF said really works, this weekend the same format helped Robinson Ranches hosting of the Florida Summer Championships go smoothly. The only thing that would help a shoot go faster would be the use of ERADS for handicap events. no speakers , speaker holders and wires to mess with while changing stations.

Phil Berkowitz

18. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Dave in SC - that is how Larry Rickman ran shoots at the now closed Corinth Gun Club - worked great.

For the shoot example in the first thread --- my opinion, 1 practice field, 8 program fields (most likely practice field is field #9). Before the start of each event, the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,and 8 (for program fields) are place in a hat. One number is drawn and quad 1 goes to that field, then consecutive squads are assigned in order. et cetera. Say the #5 is drawn first - squad 1 goes to field 5, squad 2 to field 6, squad 3 to field 7, squad 4 to field 8, squad 5 to field 1 - et cetera and so on...... Eight squads start at same time and shoot 100 targets per field. At the start of Handicap - a new number is drawn and the sequence is set in motion again. The club should have a large number board where each field is listed and a number for the squad-up and squad ready is shown.
    That method is about the only way a small club can handle something like a state shoot. Some shooters may not like their field assignment, but the assignment is random. Not much way to please everyone all the time..... Sometimes you just have to make the best decision you can and go with it. I think most shooters understand that sometimes they may have to shoot on a not so favorite trap to avoid some having a late night under the lights.
    Just my thoughts

19. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

870 - you are correct - that is what I meant and I have edited my post as such - thanks

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

One thing that is important in making the shoot go quicker is good "squad hustling". Most shoots have none. It's just like having a golf course marshall to keep things moving.