1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered Shoot Format Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by illiniphil, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

This is my first year shooting registered targets and I must say I am hooked for life. However, I do have a question on why during a 200 bird event or between singles and handicap, why everyone has to be finished shooting prior to the first squad starting again with their second round of 100. For me, the two hour plus wait is a waste and I dont understand why this occurs and every shoot seems to operate the same.

My only frustration at this point with registered shoots is that you must devote the whole day for approximately two hours of shooting.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I don't think there's a rule that they can't for example start event #2 (handicap) before event #1 (singles) is finished, problem arises tho' if you've got some guy squaded on one of the last squads in the singles and then he's squaded on one of the first squads in handicap.........happened this year at the Montana State Shoot, we were one of the starting squads in the HNCP way at the north end and had to wait for one of our squadmates who was still shooting singes on one of the last singles squads way down at the south end.

John C. Saubak

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Only when there are back to back Handicap events there could be a wait for everyone to finish. This is because the high score and if there are enough shooters runner up scores will get punches. If any one changes the yardage that they shoot from, they must shoot from the new yardage in the next event.

Your club may have a policy that they will not start the next event until everyone has shot the first, for their own reasons. What comes to mind is giving the trap help a break and/or switching the machines from single targets to doubles, they don't want anyone walking to the traps when the adjacent field is shooting and/or loading the trap machine/house. You should ask the club manager, I am sure there is a reasonable explanation.

Often times I have seen 200 single events just start the next hundred right after the last squad clears the first trap. I also have seen when shooting doubles, as soon as the machines are converted and checked the next event is started, before the last squad of the previous event is done shooting the last trap.

Jason

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

illiniphil---You should get use to spending the whole day at a shoot. No matter what way the club operates, if it is a shoot of any size it will take the better part of the day. I personally look forward to a day shooting and visiting with the other shooters. If the shoot gets over early thats just bonus time with the kids.----Matt

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Lets see case scenario #1

Shooter A is on squad 15 of a 200 bird singles race. Shooter B is on the last squad he starts his second hundred 45 minutes after shooter A because, pick your own reason.

So shooter A get to leave earlier because of trap problem plus he was able to catch an earlier squad. So shooter A get what he wants and Shooter B get to stay much later through no fault of his own.

Case scenario #2

All shooter wait and start the second hundred at the same time now there is no unfair advantage. It is true the shooters that start on the later squads finish later. If all starting traps start at the same time no one gets an unfair advantage.

So what way should it be fair to all or only fair to the fortunate that got early squads. Maybe it would better if those that in the early squads should get to leave early. Ya that good the he!! with the rest!!!!!

BTW it frustrates all of us at one time or another but we all have to be fair to the rest.

Bob Lawless

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"However, I do have a question on why during a 200 bird event or between singles and handicap, why everyone has to be finished shooting prior to the first squad starting again with their second round of 100</blockquote>

It's tradition... it's always been that way. ;-]

Lister

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I think that you stated, in different words, that if we can't help everybody, we should not help anyone.

Carol- It is not done the way you described at most shoots in the South and it is certainly not a Southern tradition.

I believe that an empty trap during a shoot represents a waste of time.

Pat Ireland

8. ivanhoe

Pat Ireland

"I believe that an empty trap during a shoot represents a waste of time."

Well Pat this is where you and I usually disagree I don't consider it my business to question the motives of shoot management. I am simple there to do as requested if it is within my scope of expertise

I further do not feel it is my place to discuss the decisions of shoot management on an open forum especially with out knowing the reason for their decision. You however are free to do as you wish.

Bob Lawless

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

We usually finish singles between 11:30 & noon. Then we take a 1 hour lunch break for shooters and trap help. H'cap starts around 12:45-1pm and doubles starts around 3:30, by 5pm everyones gone. That's the way we do it and all who come to Markham know that and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Eric

10. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Agree, with all the family demands today it seems that a better way could be attempted. One club sets up a doubles trap and you can shoot these anytime. This speeds the day by an hour or two. Another possibility would be to shoot all three events in series so that a squad goes off every 45 minutes if you shoot 100 per trap and shoot singles then handicap and then doubles. If a club has six traps you could start 2 squads. If you had 4 traps you could start 3 squads shooting singles and handiccap there and the fourth for doubles since some don't shoot doubles and it goest faster one trap could handle the volume with some squad hussling. You could presquad and establish start times every 2 1/2 hours if you started at 9:00 you would be done with all three events and on your way home in 3 hours tops!

Fatigue is a drawback. Those who want to spend the day still can and those that want to get it done and back to the family can do it.

Regards

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is no rule or tradition between 100s of 16's. Handicap must be completed before another Handicap can start - punches and changed yardage for some.

Why don't you just mail your scores in and you can be done in 5 minutes.

Don

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've experienced both arrangements; resume 2nd 100 immediately when the field or bank of first fields clears from the first 100 and you wait till the first is done before resuming. Most often, with the latter, I hear management explain that they want the pullers/scorers/referees to have time for a break and meal between 100s. In the case of the former, it's usually posted right in programs that there will be no break between events or sub events so as to accommodate as many competitors as possible. In the west, at least, I've seen no suggestion that there is a rule, standard, or tradition requiring one or the other....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am obsessed with using my time to maximum efficiency. If a club with 10 squads shuts down for an hour, that equates to a loss of about 115 man hours. That is about 2.5 weeks work time for one person. Time is really all we have, I try to use mine well.

Pat Ireland

14. ivanhoe

BDodd you and Don are correct there is no rule in the book that says that all fields must complete the first hundred before the second hundred can start.

However the club manager or shoot director say that this is how it will be. Just what options are open to those that volunteer to help their club or association. I find that the person in charge has enough crap from the crybabies that shoot and don't get their way. They certainly don't need those that work under their direction in there face.

With that being said just what should be done? Again I have found that you do what is asked of you and let them deal with the way the shoot rule are interpreted. Again just my opinion.

Bob Lawless

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland,

Unless my math is wrong, 10 squads = 50 people x 1 hour = 50 hours. How did you come up with 115 hours?

Eric

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eric- It is simple. Ten squads = 50 people, another 10 workers. I was able to multiply 60 X 1 and get 115. I might be the only person in the entire world who knows how to do that. In fact, my math was so amazing and complex, I doubt that I could ever do it again.

Pat Ireland

PS- I can't even claim a typo error with this mistake.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pat,

hahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh. No harm, no foul.

Eric

18. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

You are almost correct Pat. Fact is, once you shut the line down for an hour it takes almost an hour to get all the traps back on line.

Rick in Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.