1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Registered or just-for-fun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Okay, here’s the background. Shot sporting clays and skeet for 3 or 4 years, but then had to lay-off due to a medical issue. When I was shooting I did a fair amount of sporting clay and skeet shooting (almost no trap). Even shot about 5 or 6 registered sporting clay shoots (won one of them).

After a 2 year lay-off I started shooting again about 6 months ago and this time have gotten hooked on trap. Bought a trap gun, bought a couple of books and took one lesson. I mostly shoot for the the fun and enjoyment I get, also the fine folks I have met at the two clubs I shoot at.

Here’s the question: Should I shoot registered or just keep having fun (not that I wouldn’t have fun shooting registered). I have been shooting about 93% from the 16 yd. I have also been shooting from the 20 yd (about 91%) as I believe that would be my handicap as a new shooter. I know nothing about registered targets or how a shoot works (cost, getting on a squad, number of clays, classification, respectable score, etc). Obviously I can learn this.

Just wondering what the general feeling is registered vs just-for-fun.

2. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

Follow your heart Star if it becomes stressful then your heading the wrong direction...Welcome to trap and have fun..
    Sandie

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would join ATA, then you can just go to the most local events, possibly even the states. I joined recieved my State ATA schedule. I planned to shoot all the clubs with 1.5hr drive. tried for 2 events a month. Having a set shoot date gives me a bit of an edge with the wife.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I shoot both but I've found that shooting registered is more fun and I can concentrate better. Another thing is going to different registered shoots is meeting the people. You won't find a easier place to meet good people. Either way shoot for fun.

Bill

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Save your $, and just have fun with it! I wouldn't give a plug nickel to the ATA!

ec90t

6. The Stive

The Stive Member

Join the ATA and go shoot and have fun. I prefer shooting at registered shoots. I enjoy the larger number of shooters and the competitive atmosphere.
    I try to beat my average and if I win something great, if I don't that is alright too. I had fun. John

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Registered targets and a buck will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere! Don't get wrapped up in that crap.....shoot for fun, for yourself, for your own standards!

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Naw Shootlow, I'm just a non-conformist and don't care much for the "Good Ole Boys" club. I prefer my santioning bodies to be a bit better run (NSCA).

The only trap shooting that I do these days is games. No sandbagging, shell restrictions, or a bunch of silly rules. I pay my $20, or less, and shoot all night and have a hoot doing it. There is nothing more impressive than smashing a bird 75yds + away!

ec90t

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

You will have to try shooting registered targets in order to find out if it is for you.
    We sure can't tell you what you'd like best....

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Frankly, I find shooting registered targets to usually be an exercise in patience in that I sit around most of the day waiting to shoot one event or the other. I have almost no chance of winning at the larger ATA events even though I shoot 97 or 98 regularly and the odd 100 occasionally. I find that I'm not competing as much as I am supporting the winners.

I really don't get anything out of shooting registered events that I can't get out of shooting local club events and it's much less expensive to stay local. I think this will be my last year as an ATA member.

Morgan

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I started shooting trap last February. I have 3 registered shoots under my belt, and I like participating in them. For me, it'll be a way to measure progress.

I like being around all the shooters, I like the buzz of competition and I like the meals.

I plan on shooting all the events at my club - two of my three already, and another two scheduled. There is also a small but active club about an hour away that I'd like to shoot 2 or 3 times at next year. They are a fun group, and have a nice meal. Once shoot a month is nice to plan for.

Nonregistered, to me, is like going to the driving range and playing emergency nines. The registered shoots are where you play 18 and have to turn in your scores for handicaps.

Danny

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

starship; You have already experienced registered shooting with skeet and sporting. Don't let the negative naysayers sway you. You can only be the judge of what you should/want to do. You enjoy the common interests of members of your local clubs, just imagine expanding that by 20 or 30 times. I have friends and acquaintances from all over my state, then add to that all the ones in other states. I don't feel that there is a trap shoot in this country where I wouldn't see at least one face I recognized or a person I know. If you didn't know anyone going in you sure would know several when leaving.

For what ever reasons, you have on this site many whinners and complainers and regardless of what is said or done they are against registered shoots and the ATA. They will do whatever they can to discourage you and anybody else from shooting registered targets. You have seen them at the clubs you have attended, I don't know if it is jealousy, envy or the fact they have a rotten life but don't let there problems be yours.

Shoot, have fun and enjoy the best sport around.

13. chessney

chessney TS Member

Here's my take on it..When starting out,they "ATA" classify you and you shoot agianst class A shooters.For a new shooter you just give them your $ and in my case I can't shoot enough events to ever get out of that class. So what's the use of shooting ATA when I will never shoot against the talent level of myself. "C or D level shooters". Now at my club they know what my talent level is. It's gives me alot more satisfacton shooting against guy's that suck like myself. And that's my take! Ziggy

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Certainly fun means different things to different people. The above statement about classification is not right. From the rule book in section 5:

C. CLASSIFICATION
    1. For 16-yard targets and Doubles, shooters will be placed in three (3)
    or more classes, according to their established average and/or known
    ability. A new shooter may be assigned to any class in 16-yards and
    Doubles events, at the discretion of classification personnel until the
    shooter establishes his/her known ability.

Unless you are shooting at an event with penalty yardage/class, there is no reason you should be shooting with others outside of your skill range.

Personally, I found the challenge of improving my skills to be reward enough for shooting in registered events. It only costs 20 bucks to join ATA, so even if you don't like tournaments, it's not like you have invested in a new car.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, shooting ATA events is the only type of shooting I enjoy. I will shoot some practice and even a few junk shoots but only to help my registered shooting.

Pat Ireland

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Not everyone feels the need to belong to a national organization in order to shoot in competition. The ATA meets the needs of thousands of shooters, but certainly not ALL shooters.

I thoroughly enjoy competing against my friends and fellow shooters. That's why I seldom miss a Pot Shoot, a local trap league, or an Inter-club event. At each of these I am making and competing against friends who are without equal.
    In fact, any time two or more of us are at the same club, we are competing!!

Just because a shooter doesn't feel the need to join the ATA, doesn't make them a jealous/envious social misfit. (If I was jealous of the ATA shooters, I'd pay the $20 and become one myself.) For someone to indicate that they are, demonstrates a certain degree of insecurity.

17. chessney

chessney TS Member

C. CLASSIFICATION 1. For 16-yard targets and Doubles, shooters will be placed in three (3) or more classes, according to their established average and/or known ability. A new shooter may be assigned to any class in 16-yards and Doubles events, at the discretion of classification personnel until the shooter establishes his/her known ability.

If this is true what you say? It does not hold true in Pa. I shot penalty A at the zone shoot because they said I didn't have enough targets.."according to their established average" My point exactly. You shoot penalty A till you establish you stink!..Ziggy

18. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

From BIGDON:

<I>"You have already experienced registered shooting with skeet and sporting. Don't let the negative naysayers sway you. You can only be the judge of what you should/want to do."</I>

<I>"For what ever reasons, you have on this site many whinners and complainers and regardless of what is said or done they are against registered shoots and the ATA. They will do whatever they can to discourage you and anybody else from shooting registered targets."</I>

BigDon, if you want someone to take seriously anything you have to say, you'll first have explain what it is that makes your pro-registered targets argument any more valid than someone else's position against shooting registered targets?

You are free to present your opinion and they are free to present theirs and the LISTENER is free to decide which position makes more sense to them WITHOUT having the waters muddied by complaints, interference or derogatory comments from you!

Morgan

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Morgan: You don't like sitting around. Why don't you try socializing. Try shooting more events. I just came home from a weekend shoot, 600 targets in two days, 300 per, not much time for setting around. Had a great time, great friends, won a little money (not much), card game at night after dinner in a nice restaurant. This can happen to you and anyone with a little effort.

Regular 97's and 98's and a few 100's and you can't win, WHY. I have won and do win with those scores.

If you don't want to shoot registered fine but don't pass on your poor reasons as a problem of the sport.

Code5: The insecurity lies with the individual who won't leave his comfort level for fear of failure or fear of competing with strangers who might be better than he is. Big fish seldom leave their small pond because then they will no longer be the Big Fish.

No one has to shoot registered and being a recreational shooter is fine too. It is up to the individual and he should make his decision based on his own experiences, after he has at least tried it, not yours or mine.

Don

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The subject as asked is subjective at best and can only be answered by the one who asked it by experience ... Personally, I shoot handicap and do not like sitting around all day to shoot at 100 targets when I can do the same thing on a day when there is not an ATA event for less money and a hell of a lot less time ...

(PRACTICE)

4 X 25 @ $4.25 = $17.00 (targets)

4 X $4.50 = $18.00 (shells)

total for practice $35.00

(REGISTERED)

4 X 25 @ $6.50 = $26.00 (Registered targets)plus daily fees of $4.00

daily fees: $4.00

4 X $4.50 = $18.00 (shells)

Total registered = $48.00

Shooting with the same friends and then going to lunch with them and the cost is less than the same 100 registered targets ... Same friends, same targets, same club, and lunch included with a beer of your choice and you will still be home sooner than if you sit around and wait until your squad is up ...

WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.