Status
Not open for further replies.

Refusing yardage reductions.

5K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  Psycho 
#1 ·
Can anyone explain refusing reductions. I can only think of two -
#1 being able to squad with your pals
#2 Ego
Both are actually valid reasons, we're human after all.
I am trying to learn something here, and don't want to be disrespectful to my fellow shooters. If more guys took reductions, wouldn't they make it more competetive for all. They would stand a better chance of winning, thereby loosening the "stranglehold of the big dogs". If the ATA says you're not competetive at your current yardage, it's 99% guaranteed you are not. I am in favor of mandatory reductions, though I think you could defer reduction until the next calendar(or target) year. Whatcha think?

#4 ·
It makes little sense to work hard to GET a yard only to give it up because your having a slump . Also what makes the difference if you shoot from the 20 or 27 ? Is it anyones business really .

The They would stand a better chance of winning bunch can take all the reductions they like (NO PROBLEM) AND WIN THE 17 -18 BUCKS

alf

#5 ·
I refused a yardage reduction once when I was shooting from the 22 1/2, and the ATA wanted me to take a 1/2 yard reduction. I would still shoot from the 22 yard line, so I told them no. It didn't make any sense to stay at the same place. I've since moved on, but they shouod make the reduction at least a yard, then I would have taken it.

Kevin

#6 ·
I personally would take reductions down to the 16 yard line if offered. Why, obviously I can't handle the yardage I was on if I am being offered a reduction. Some people that I know refuse reductions for the following reasons. To shoot with friends, and their friends know that the person who refused a yardage reduction can't handle the yardage they are presently on. Also friends that reach the 27 yard line and feel it was difficult to get there and never want to give it up. I also know someone who is older and wants people to think that he is still a 27 yard shooter, shooting 60's and 70's and they talk about him behind his back. I have never been on 27 , closet I ever came to it was 25 1/2. Don't know what I would have done if I ever made it to the fence. To those of you who ever made it to the 27 yard line, I tip my hat to you and you deserve the respect due for making it. I believe it's your money, do what ever you want, stay on the 27, or take a reduction, like I said it's your money and no one else's business.
Steve Balistreri

#8 ·
If you "get a little better as time goes on" I'm not sure as to why you would get reductions on a regular basis unless there is something wrong with the handicapping system. You seem to be a dedicated shooter, working hard to improve and doing it. That's not ego and you're not "guilty". I would guess the ATA is offering reductions before guys have a chance to learn "the angles" at their present yardage. I thank you for your input.

#10 ·
If you are in a "slump" and take a reduction are you more or less COMPETITIVE than if you decline it? How long do these slumps last? So reasons #4 slump; #5 fear of being tagged as a sandbagger. Again, valid reasons but one can see why mandatory reductions are a realistic way to INCREASE competetion. Thanks Guys, lets try to make it more competive for all. Great Input!

#11 ·
That's an idiotic statement Gary. Trap is, for the majority, a hobby and a social sport.

There are rules in place that allow a degree of latitude. Until those rules are changed who are you to tell me how I should enjoy my hobby?

It's about choices. If I choose to be "uncompetative" at the yardage I earned than that is my choice. If I choose to take a reduction because that's the way I choose to enjoy my sport than that's what I will do.

Being absolute and dogmatic when referring to someone's entertainment is thoughtless.

Jerry Weger

#13 ·
Dr.Longshot You can take all the REDUCTIONS your offerd (fine with me)

But please keep your nose out of my business . You see it,s my money I,m spending my time and my choice not your,s . You have a chance to take a reduction your choice but don,t tell me it,s Mandatory .

I,s a very good way to loose a bunch of shooters that are on the fence now .

ALF

#14 ·
I believe according to Phil's survey, shooters were about evenly split on whether it was worse to be over or under handicapped. However, check the average books and see how many shooters you find with 90% + handicap averages. Looks to me like a significant number of registered shooters are over handicapped now and don't care.
John

#18 ·
1oldtimer Just one QUESTION PLEASE

Why do you feel you can tell me what to do .

I just don,t understand how it,s hurting you if I,m over handicapped .

Please don,t give me a line about move up and win ( I don,t care to win )

If you get your wish it would be the last handicap I shot .

It would be nice if people like you could mind your own DAM business I will take a reduction If I chose not you GOT IT

#19 ·
I find it extremely presumptuous for one person to tell another how to enjoy their hobby as long as it's within the rules of the sport.

No one and I mean no one is going to tell me how to enjoy myself and those that are trying please explain what business it is of your how I make a choice.

If I am enjoying myself why in the world do your care?

#21 ·
Well hunter I'll tell you why. It's my discretionary income so I'll spend it how I choose. I enjoy shooting with my "posse". It's a social thing as well as as a competition. Why is this so hard to understand?

Besides I enjoy standing on the 27 yard line and challenging myself. You having a problem with that is what I can't understand.

#24 ·
1oldtimer

After thinking about the mandatory reductions I may be wrong and you are right . In fact why stop at mandatory reductions right .

I feel we should also do away with the Special Categories no more Veteran no more Sr. Vet Just what is Juniors and Sub Juniors anyway . And don,t get me started on the Lady Category thing ( to many kick my butt now )

If we did this think of the money you and I can win . (O-BOY)

alf

#26 ·
I fail to see where another persons shooting from whatever yardage would make any difference to anyone but that particular shooter who probably paid dearly to make the back fence or any other yardage with his or her own money ... It does not have any effect on Handicap shooting or the game itself what so ever from what I can figure out on paper ... Sounds like a Democrate type of thing where they want to protect you from yourself and force you to take a reduction ... I have shot good and I have shot bad sometime both on the same day on the same traps, so whats that tell you ..? I have also shot in 45 MPH winds when other shooters would not shoot so they could protect their average, and I had a blast doing it ... The ATA has trouble keeping shooters now, make reductions mandatory and watch the shit hit the fan from both barrels as more fly out the door ... The next thing you know someone will suggest that all shooters have a uniform to show his or her class and yardage ... Worry about where you are shooting from and less about where anybody else is shooting from and you might not have to worry as much about anything ... Taking or refusing a reduction is and should remain the shooters choice just like the options are ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.