1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refusing tardets?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm a fairly new shooter, 2 years shooting registered targets, This past Sun. there were very erratic winds. The more expeienced shooters in the squad were refusing to shoot at a lot of "high" flyers. The targets landed inside the markers. When can you refuse to shoot? How do you determine when to refuse to shoot at a target?---Thanx--Phil

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

First, learn what an illegal target is and what they look like on the trap range compared to one that's legal.

How scoring is handled depends on the scorekeepers knowledge of the rule. Most will allow another target for the shooter. Some will call it lost if it was legal coming out and the wind caught it and the shooter choose not to fire. If the target is between 8 and 10 feet coming out of the house, what the wind does from that point on to a target is too bad. Turning that one down is a loss. Hap

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are no rules. Plus you get 8 FTFs per 100 targets. Tell the scorer you suffer from HTFD (high target flinching disorder). HMB

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Chatbrat -

Pay no attention to HMB, just his way of saying that he doesn't understand that no matter how many rules you have someone has to interpret their meaning.

BTW, he is flat out wrong about getting 8 FTF's per 100. You get 2 per sub-event. There is a huge difference.

Scott

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What he's "flat out wrong about," Scott, is that these are failures to fire. Oh. I know, he and DA are jes' strutt'n their stuff, show'n all us yokels how easy it would be to cheat if our standards of sportsmanship were as low as theirs, as if it were possible.

I can't imagine why they do this. They both know it's not true. Maybe they will explain why the persist in claiming things they know are not true. You may as well start, Harry . . .

Neil

6. Hap MecTweaks

DA, a whole illegal target is a "no target", unless you fire at it, no FTFs there. Glad you typed out the remainder of the 8-10 foot thingie, most ATA shooters recognize those numbers as part of a familiar rule, or should. Hap

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Just shoot it!!! Hell we shot in pea soup fog on Sunday and still was running 22/23's. Not bad for not seeing the bird 5 feet from the house. You just called for it and the second you saw it from the top of the house poof it was gone. Fun was had by all.

Jerbear

8. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I was told that you are allowed 2 failure to fires for each 25 birds, So in a 100 target event, You are allowed 8 failure to fires right? Ive never used this rule I was just wondering if this is correct? Thanks Richie

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

AA, that is 2 failure to fires for each sub event. All sub events arent 25 birds.

10. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Win -

Yes and no. You can get UP TO 8 FTF in a 100 bird event, but only if you take 2 in each sub-event, and you are shooting 25 bird subevents.

For instance, at the Southern Grand they shoot 10 per post. That means there are only two subevents, so you get 2 FTF's for the first sub-event (50 targets) and 2 FTF's for the second sub-event (50 targets). That's only 4 total. Keep in mind however that if you don't take any FTF's in the first sub-event, you still only get 2 in the second sub-event. So, it's not accurate to say you get 8 FTF (or 4 FTF) in a 100 bird event. You have to think about FTF's on a sub-event basis.

Scott

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

According to ATA rules, it's perfectly legal to refuse all the tardets you desire.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

notparticularlysmartdonkey, which rule is that?

Neil

13. Hap MecTweaks

Neil, he's playing with spelling. "tardets"

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Considering the very large number of comments I see on this site each year about how the F to F rule can be used to cheat, I am surprised that I have never seen it abused at a shoot.

It is clear that many who claim that it can be used to cheat do not understand the rule.

Scott- Yes, at the Dixie, each sub event will be 50 birds. With doubles, that is nearly always the case. There might still be a club or two that shoots doubles 30-20 but I do not know any. In doubles, if you have problems with the first bird, one might not get any F to F in a sub event.

Pat Ireland

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

I flinch. It is NOT due to recoil. I do not always see the target due to eye problems (floaters) and/or lack of focus. (Getting fitted for shooting glasses on Monday - hope that helps)

I sometimes fire away anyway and hit about half of them.

I occasionally hold my shot when I flinch and call for another bird. It is a bit embarrassing but it is my cross to bear. I do take "advantage" of the FTF rule. It is very obvious to my squad mates. If I let a slight quartering shot go, they realize I am not turning down a "hard" target.

I suppose that makes me a bad person and a "cheater". I wish I did not flinch but I do.

I will conquer this affliction. I do not like to "cheat". I will try to do better.

Don

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's not a nice thing that you would disciminate against shooters who are afflicted with HTFD. You should be ashamed of yourselves. HMB

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Ah yes, the suckerfish bite again.

18. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

ok to add to this if you are the squad leader and you have some one that say 4 to 5 times in a sub event of 25 targets refuses a target that looked ok, resets then calls for another and shoots, should the squad leader speak up to the scorer/referee and ask that they should be warned of the rules on what a bad/legal target is and/or that they should be counted as fail to fires and losses if continued?

19. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I turned down a tardette one time. She got mad and through her hockey helmet and drool guard at me.

20. nipper

nipper TS Member

Those who refuse targets the most probably throw their hulls on the ground too.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.