1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

@@ Refunds for Infinity Raffle @@

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

To everyone that purchased tickets for the Infinity Raffle for the Kentucky State Shoot July 4th, 2009. Cindy and I sat down today and wrote out the refund checks. They will all be mailed out tomorrow Monday June 22,2009. It is sad to see this take place but we tried this for two years with no success. Cindy and I regret this happened but we just wanted to let everyone know that the ticket money is all being sent out. If you should have any other questions call us at the shop 330-456-6070 or see me at the Ohio State Shoot next week.

Thank you,

Dennis R. DeVault

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Dennis, I'm very sorry to see this happen. I can't believe that even in todays economy that someone would pass on an opportunity to win an Infinity for $50 in addition to the good cause it was intended for.
    Maybe they all knew beforehand that I held the winning ticket. Now I'll have to spend my refund on the NC Infinity Raffle. I guess winning one Infinity is just a good as the other.

3. Dennis DeVault

up for those that have not seen this.

Dennis

4. white rattler

white rattler Member

Sad day. To bad, a great gun. Trevor Dawe.

5. Dennis DeVault

Trevor,

This raffle was not just about the gun but the money that we wanted to give away to the youth shooters. The idea was to support the youth shooters. Maybe if I had concentrated on that and did not give the gun away it would have had a different outcome. I noticed that there is another thread that they are doing the same thing that we attempted. The really sad part was we only got three coaches in the entire country that called and ask for tickets.

Thank you,

Dennis DeVault

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I am giving my refund to my local SCTP club. Fred

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

wn1911, IIRC it was 300 tickets,,,,so with $50 you had a 1 in 300 chance of winning a $12,000+ clay bustin' machine.

8. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

The point of this raffle was to help youth shooting. Dennis last year fully donated a new Infinity to Minnesota to help benefit our youth program. He didn't ask how many new kids were to be added to our program with this money. He didn't ask how many more new guns he might sell to Minnesota shooters because of this donation. He just saw a good program and wanted to help.

When we are asked to buy a youth raffle ticket with a chance to win a prize, it's really a nice way of saying we want you to help our program and plus you get a chance to win this prize. It's not about the prize, it's about the program you are helping. Fifty dollars is not a small amount of money, but think of it this way, it goes to a good cause and it's less then what it will cost you to shoot 100 targets at a good sized shoot counting the cost of targets and shells. Now if you can't afford to drive a BMW can you afford to give up 100 targets someday for the benefit of a good youth program? Dennis gave up a new Infinity and I don't think he drives a BMW either.

Mark Zauhar

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good comment Mark

10. bigdogtx

so win1911,,,,were you wanting a "tax write off" in order to buy a ticket,,,,have you done a lot to try to help kids raise some money for their shooting,,,,what the heck of a difference does it make if Dennis got a write off or not,,,,there was going to be $12,000 for the kids,,,,did the gun "cost" that much to make,,,,wgif,,,,guess you don't give to charity until you figure, "what's in it for ME"????Did you miss the Vernal Raffle where the was a Bowen and Infinity BOTH donated,,,,just how much would you want a business owner to _GIVE_ away???? I guess you are like some democrats who think the _always_ has to be an angle for anyone to do anything!!!!

BTW, in checking it was 600 tickets that were to be sold.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Maybe what Jerry is asking is. If 600 tickets are sold at $50 per. That's $30,000.

What portion of the $30,000 is going back to the kids.

Jim

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"2 years in a row he has taken the gun back, this means to me he has not donated without him getting something in return."

You might want to check the original thread. I pushed it to the top.

13. bigdogtx

win1911,,,,just so you know, IIRC stands for If I Remember Correctly,,,,pardon me for making a mistake or if you don't want to,,,,well, you know.

This was a _raffle_ to help raise some money for trap shooting kids and would also have taught them some skills that they could have used later in life,,,,like doing some work (selling tickets) and getting rewarded for it ($2,000) for the top selling team. I guess the way I look at, is if you don't do the work, you should not get rewarded.

IMHO, Dennis was allowing some kids to learn some valuable life lessons by allowing them to piggyback on one of his guns. He sure didn't have to, but to me he is giving back to the sport. Many complain that they are short on money for their youth teams. Here was an opportunity to help offset that and as Dennis posted, only 3 coaches showed interest.

14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

win1911 -

Check your thinking with what Dennis actually said in his thread. You might find there's a gap. In other words, I think you've left reality behind.

All give aways benefit the promoter via advertising. It's not free. He would have given a gun away. I see this as a positive effort. Kids benefit, the sport grows, Dennis advertises. Kids work for their own support...We all gain.

I see your comment as a negative downward spiral. Quite the opposite of Dennis' effort.

Dennis, I just throw up my hands in cases like this and think to myself; There has to be a balance in everything. It's the way of the world. Pay no mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.