1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== REFRIGERATOR TECH. QUESTION ==

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I just bought a new large side-by-side Samsung refrigerator from Best Buy (model RSG307AARS). I very carefully measured the height of the one in the store and determined that it would fit beneath my kitchen cabinets, which happen to be 24" deep, by a scant 1/8". Just to be safe, before it was delivered I removed 3/8" from beneath the front edge of my cabinets. Today Best Buy delivered the refrigeraor while I was at work. When I got home I saw that they had wedged it hard up under my cabinets and it was still 6" from the wall behind it. I jerked it out from under the cabinets and saw that it appeared to be leaning backwards a couple degrees. So I measured it. Sure enough, the front of the case (behind the hinges) is 17/32" higher than the back of the case. I went to screw-in the leveling feet on the front of the fridge and discovered that they weren't even on the ground! Instead, the front is sitting on a little nylon wheel in the middle of the fridge. I tried unscrewing the leveling feet to get the wheel to retract but it appears to be fixed.

So here's the question: Can it possibly be normal for a refrigerator to lean backwards this much? You can see it easily with the naked eye. What in the world is going on?

-Gary

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The owner's manual should be able to answer that question.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Nope

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds goofy to me Gary. I have a double door Frigidaire and it is both level and plumb. Sounds like to me that wheel should either come off or fold down. My fridge has wheels that stay on for easy moving for cleaning. I bet that wheel is used just for moving the fridge to the spot and then is intended to be removed? It should have instructions for that.

I'm not a refridgerator repairman but my ass crack shows when I bend over.

6. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

it needs to be plumb and level how will you manage the doors on opening?? You gotta love those delivery guys leaving crap like that when no one is looking.

We had the big Orange store do a kitchen for us about 5 years ago, the microwave would crap-out 2 minutes in it cycle reset then crap-out so they replace and same thing again. For the third visit I get home a little earlier from work and meet the guys who do noe speak or read english this time I show them for rear exhaust they needed to pull the fan and turn 180 degress reinstall.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

We have an Amana that has the freezer on the bottom. It's at least a 1/4" out of level, don't know if thats right or not, been like that for 10 years. The doors will slowly close themselves set up that way.

I do know most refrigerators need 4" of air space in the back, and 2" on top for air to circulate around the condensing coils.

Don't know about the nylon wheel, call Best Buy?

Wayne

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Reading the owner's manual or installation manual might be helpful too.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've read the owners manual and called Best Buy. I talked to a "technical person" who repeatedly told me to unscrew the front leveling feet until the refrigerator was level. I ended up driving to the store to personally show the idiot that lowering the leveling feet RAISES the refrigerator, and to re-measure the display model. As originally indicated, it more than 1/2" lower than mine and leans back less. The department manager's brilliant reply? He said, "That's not even possible." Being my father's son, I pulled $100 out of my wallet and asked him if he wanted to put his money where his mouth is. He declined, but suggested that if I had called the store by 9pm last night, someone would have already been out to fix it. I informed him that I actually called the store just after 7pm last night and was told that I'd hear back from an "installer" this morning. It's almost 1pm and nobody has called.

-Gary

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It won't hurt it to be out of level, but the ice maker could run over if too far out of level, and you will have to tell you wife to shim the jello mold if she ever makes any

Most of the newer units don't require the clearance around them either, as they don't have a static condensor, they use a small fan cooled one underneath the case

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Yea, refridgerators. Three years ago we did our kitchen over. I'm kinda handy with hammer and nails (that's how I put myself through college) and had at it. When everything was done, the new appliances arrived. (JenAir and Maytag), all with black front panels. OK, time to install. Put in the new refridge and the other appliances. Dishwasher lasted three years, went south. Called where we bought it and was told it was out of warranty. I was told I should have bought the extended warranty (Maytag) OK, I blew hot and bought a new Whirlpool. All is well for about three months and the 3 1/2 year old refridge goes out. I call the place I bought it and am again told "out of warranty, you should have bought the extended warranty". Sent my wife shopping for a new refridge with the instructions not to buy Maytag. She come home and tells me the new one will be delivered tomorrow. It lands here and is a Whirlpool with Stainless Steel panels (the rest of the appliances are black). While installing the new refridge I notice a lot of striking simularities to the old refiridge. I mentioned it to the delivery guy that told me that their all made by the same company. So now I'm swapping black panels for SS ones and hoping against hope that this refridge will outlast the other "same one" I had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

samsung refiridge