1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reflexive shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I see a number of shooting styles out there including the long bird shooters who are almost rifle shooting

Then there are the break'em out of the house crowd, many time with a high gun and a short quick poke

Are these people reflexively shooting? ie snap the gun to the bird and trigger it?

No time to think, no time to clearly see the bird, absolutely no visible bead or barrel and yet it works. There is no lead, you only know you are in front or in some cases snapping the trigger ON the bird and teh gun motion and reaction time puts you out front. A true matter of trust to jump to it and hit it hard. Trying to hit something is different from trying not to miss.

Question is, is this method a dead end?

How are other people hitting them out of the house? Any use a low hold or it it too slow?

thanks!

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

No one????

wow !

3. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

From what I can gather, (trust me..I know one very QUICK guy), they see the target really quick & shoot accordingly.

Ron

4. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Ever see Britt Robinson? There was or is no one faster. His advice: Shoot them as fast as you can and still hit them.

5. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Fast he is.

Britt has a VERY precise system, but he does it very fast. Nothing is instinctive in the sense that it doesn't come from a specific plan.

For example, Britt would adjust his hold ever so slightly if he felt a tiny breeze on the back of his neck when it was his turn to shoot, etc.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Bruce,

What may look like a quick poke at the target is anything but.

An accomplished high gun shooter sees the target better than you probably have ever thought possible and the movements are minimized to only what is necessary.

This may all look blindingly fast but it is all quite deliberate and controlled.

The secret if you want to call it that is found in hundreds of thousands of rounds of training. This may not be a style you can adopt right now but it is something to work toward.

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Wolfram,

Well said! You captured it all. Keep shooting guys.

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

9. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Shooting rapidly takes extremely good reflexes and eye hand coordination. i believe that one of the reasons it is a successful technique, for those that can do it, is that the bird is so much closer. It's just easier to hit something that closer to you than one that's far away.

I'm sure practice helps, but some of us just have better reflexes than others and reflexes tend to fade with age.

Just watch kids shoot, even ones with little experience.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I think it is a "Zone", hard to get into initially but wonderful when it happens. Almost like cruise control on the highway; favorite tunes and friends on a trip.

I really like the FEEL of it. I say I don't really see the target but obviously, I do. I just don't realize that I did, until its all over, then I forget it.

One inherently strong trait in man is the ability to point, do it fast, and with amazing precision. If that is the only task at hand, it is really simple. No trigger , no recoil, no expectations lost, no nothing , just point at, or ahead of, a moving object.

Ahh but here's the rub: The other skill required is to pull the trigger.
    Fortunately in shotguns, the quality of the pull is much less important (but not to be dismissed either as many will vouch) than in say a pistol where trigger induced error or motion frequently pulls the gun off target, especially for the casual shooter.

The bad news is we can only do one conscious thing at a time. As a result, the serial execution of the shot (albeit even a subconscious serial action) adds a time delay leads to a shift of focus away from "pointing and swinging" to "stopping the car while you take a picture" (you know you do it because the target is lost).

The parallel action of triggering while attempting to point is better and can lead to reflexive precision shooting but it requires great faith and confidence. One miss is a hit to your confidence, you double down to be sure of hitting next time and fail again. Everything goes down the drain now.

I had it last week after the pressure was off, I already messed up my round. I didnt have it in practice a few days later but I can get that back too and I am anxious to try again in practice where expectations arent a factor and then in competition. When it goes well I know it is easy but when the wheels fall off watch out !

I appreciate the comments on the above

regards