1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinishing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Gillatt, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Gillatt

Ron Gillatt Member

I have a Beretta 391 ST with 'X-Tra Grain stock & forend. Is there anything that can be used safely to put a good, hardwearing shine onto the wood? It would look nice with a good finish as the 'X-Tra' grain is quite a nice pattern. Any idea's please ?

Thanks,

Ron in Ontario

2. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

You can put a polyurethane finish over it that will protect it a lot. Several coats will do even better.
    DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN! UNLESS IT IS A SPRAY CAN OF THE STUFF.
    You will only put lots of air bubbles in the poly which stay in the poly for quite a while. And which will show up on your finish.
    You can get it right at Home Depot or Lowes.

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Ron, Mini-Wax Helmsman (Spar)Urethane works best for me. "Spray Can" Joe joe90t

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Above is a posting on refinishing I did several months ago. Click Website URL to view. Marc

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Tru Oil. I'm a big fan of this stuff.....Along with several coats of a good hard paste wax.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you use Tru-Oil, I would take the stock down to bare wood first. I don't think it will be compatible with most finishes, unless oil based. Plus, the oil finish really brings out the grain, because it soaks into wood, while the others will sit on top of the wood. Tru-Oil dries, and cures slowly though. It is a durable finish, but takes a month to cure fully. It is also repairable, without redoing the whole stock.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Sti Flyn, that the atributes I like about TruOil, brings out the grain and is easy to repair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.