1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinishing stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnjjk, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjjk

johnjjk Member

I want to put a high gloss finish on a matte stock on a Beretta 391.

Can anyone tell me how to do this without sending it to out.

Thanks in Advance

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I just used a good high quality paste car wax on mine and it shined up nicely. No need to use anything else. Several coats are necessary.

3. dimapower

dimapower Member

I've done this to a couple of stocks. Keep in mind that I am no wood worker and have very little patience. Nonetheless, I was able to get it done with satisfactory results. First a SPR310 that was originally oil, then a worn out 682 Gold X.

Stripped the old finish using a chemical stripper (hardest part of the whole deal). Steam/iron up the dents. In my case, applied a darker oil stain. Finally, brushed 6 coats of high gloss polyurethane with ultra fine steel wool between coats.

Before

[​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]

4. gordy h

gordy h Member

Strip the stock,steelwool with 0000 fine, then use Tru Oil,apply with your finger tips,spareingly,rub with the grain until almost dry,let sit 1 day to fully dry andstart over, after 15 or more coats,you will have a high gloss finish.When done I use a coat of Birchwood stock wax. It's a job but you won't regret it.Butch H

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Here's a photo of two stocks I did several years ago using TruOil. Yes - the 1100 stock is pretty beat up now, but it was beautiful when I first did it. You gotta' do at least 10 coats of truoil using 0000 steel wool to knock it down a little as you go. Once complete, you polish with successive fine grades until you are using about a five-5's grade of polish. Then you can paste wax if desired. The Garand stock is a Boyd's stock and the 1100 stock is a Wenig New American I got in the white and had it checkered after I mounted and finished it.
    [​IMG]

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The final finishing step should be applying a bit of automotive polishing compound to a large, soft, buffing wheel along with a lot of water and some wax. Place the wheel in a drill press and really make the finish shine. It also makes a great mess. If not sure about the process, go to an auto body shop and get some directions. Don't let the auto body shop polish the stock for you. They press down too hard and polish too long.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

refinish spr310

refinishing a beretta 391

refinishing a beretta stock

refinishing beretta 391 stock

refinishint 1100 stock polish