1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinishing stock thats been glued?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just picked up a Winchester 37 in .410 today.

Its not in what I would consider collectors grade condition, so I don't believe that refinishing the stock and forend will negatively effect the value.

The forend had a piece on the side which cracked and separated, and was repaired with wood glue (actually a pretty decent job of reattaching the piece). I'm concerned with what will happen with that repair joint when I strip the original finish, if the stripper will attack the glue joint as well. Any thoughts?

There is also a crack/split in the stock tang that will need to be repaired as well, what is the best glue to use for this? I can peel the split open to dribble a little bit of glue in it, so its not in a hard to reach or hard to glue area. Even if I don't end up refinishing it, this will need to be addressed.

2. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Brownells acra glass. For thin cracks use acra glass not the gel. Ive had wood glued joints reopen when exposed to moisture. I hate gorrila glue for stock repairs. If the wood glued joint opens up after you strip it then acra glass it to.

Jeff

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I wouldn't use a chemical stripper in this case. Sand off the old finish and pin the crack at the tang. Cyanoacrylate would be my choice of glue.

4. 333t

333t Member

I have used regular yellow carpenter's glue with good results. It is thin enough to work into small cracks just by rubbing it in with your finger, and dries a nice neutral color that doesn't show. Wrap the glued area with some strong rubber bands and let it dry over night. Clean up any oozing with a damp rag (water) before you put on the rubber bands. When dry it doesn't seem to be affected by paint stripper or thinner. Good stuff and easy to use.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.