1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinishing stock question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2500 HD, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I stripped, sanded, dampened, resanded, and sanded some more till I had my 1100 gun stocks ready to finish. Last night I put the first coat of tung oil high gloss finish and it went really well. Easy to apply, nice color and grain appearance. I planned to apply 4-5 more coats of the oil finish, but I am not satisfied with the gloss of the finish. Right now it is a dull satin at best. Will the high gloss finish come with more coats or do I need to finish with Polyurethan. I was after a nice deep gloss finish when I am done. Any help would be great. Thanks Ken.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

It will proberly take more coats for it to get the finish your looking for.

3. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

There are others on here better qualified than I but I would say that if you have the grain filled and it's smooth I would try Minwax Clear gloss spray. Make sure you are in a warm environment and use a tack cloth to remove trash. Spray light coats per the directions. Mine don't look professional but came out pretty good.

Also, Brownells sells a gloss clear that's supposed to be pretty good. I haven't tried it though.

Mark

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The more coats you put on the better it gets. Don't be in a rush. HMB

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can't give too much advice because i'm working and learning on mine now. I will say that "hmb" has it right. The more coats the better. I'm nearing 20 coats(which was my goal).

What i have been doing, is wet sanding with 1000 grit wet/dry paper after every 5 coats. The final coat i'm going to let cure for several weeks and sand with 2000 grit. Then the plan is to polish it out with headlight lense polish. These instructions were giving to me by several on here. I used the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It is desgined for gunstocks and leaves a very nice deep high gloss finish. I plan on posting before and after pics when its done.

The best advice i can give(same i was given):

Don't Rush!!!!

6. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Will the tung oil give me a high gloss finish in the end or will I need to coat with poly. I am not in a big hurry, but want it to turn out good.

7. Habib

Habib Member

After about 100 coats, the grain will be filled and it will shine like mirror.
    Not a week end project.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This is what it will look like using grntitans's method. The comb is after it was finished, with polishing and wax. The stock picture is after sanding. I wish I had the pictures of the whole gun stock finished, but I lost those pictures in a crash, (Computer). Jon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Min/Wax "Helmsman" Spar Urethane Works Fine For Me. Just saying Joe W.

10. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Did the spar varnish try to yellow. I have a can, but was concerned with yellowing.

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have an Umberger stock that was hand rubbed several coats to smooth and fill the grain. Last coat(s) were the same oil sprayed on. Came out as smooth and glossy as any I have seen. This was as Umberger described the finish to me. Marc

12. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I have a KS-5 stock that I think has orginal finish from around 1990. As you can see the area has yellowed and thinned from hand oils I think. The rest of the stock is in really good condition. I want to refinish just this one area bordered by the checkering if possible. I'm reasonable skilled with airbrushing. What do you guys think is the current finish that has yellowed? Do you think if I remove it and refinish with a oil-modified urethane I will get acceptable results? Thanks for you help. Joe
    [​IMG]

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Getting the same color I think will be the problem. The finish you could get to match up if you end it at the checkering. The thing is even if you get the color to match right now, after a while the finish color will change, especially oil based finishes, usually darken and may look different in the future than the rest of the stock. Jon

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

No you can spot finish but for a perfect match the whole stock and forend will need to be sprayed.

15. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Down the road I will have it re-finished but for now I wanted to know if the yellowing is in the finish or down in the wood? Also wanted to know what a good product to use for the spot finish? Joe

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You can put a lot of work into it and it still won't likely match. Especially if the stock has a stain on it now. I would wait and redo the whole stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunstock polishing