1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinishing Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mflora, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mflora

mflora Member

Stock is currently tru-oil w/ wax. I have had great luck w/ Min-Wax Poly over the years on a number of projects. Can I use poly over oil or is some surface prep necessary like shellac to create a better bond. Thoughts from all of you wood guys.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Does the Min-Wax product have UV stabilizers in it? Is it an exterior poly?

MK

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Tru-oil is not really an "oil finish" per se, it is a varnish with a bit of oil (tung and linseed, as I recall) added as plasticizers to keep it flexible and prevent cracking.

Sand to the surface, leaving the Tru-oil in the pores as filler, then use pretty much whatever you desire over it. I'm not a big fan of MinWax because it's not really rated for outdoor use.

I've settled on the Permalyn finishes sold by Laurel Mountain Forge. For an in-the-wood finish with a warm glow, apply several coats of the penetrating sealer, wiping off as soon as it has soaked in. The regular Permalyn can be used for a higher gloss on-the-wood type finish.

Kiv

4. high 2

high 2 Member

Ditto on the Permalyn. Can take a bunch of coats on lower quality open grained wood. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.