1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinishing a stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herman63, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman63

Herman63 Member

What would you use as a finish?

If you have a good link to info on how to refinish a stock email it to me please.

I am debating on usinf tru-oil or tung oil?

Thanks, Herman63 ky

2. esetter

esetter Active Member

tru-oil will do a much better job of filling the wood pores and is a more durable finish as it will build up on the surface.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tung oil will do a much better job of filling the wood pores and is a more durable finish. Mix 50/50 with mineral spirits for the first few coats. Then use full strength. HMB

4. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Tung Oil.. period!

ol 12

5. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Linspeed.

Tom R.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, learn the basics of stock refinishing before selecting a product. Staining, filling the pores without getting a thick layer of finish/sealer over the wood between the pores, and then the finish coats are the three basic steps. If you have never finished wood, I suggest getting a raw scrap piece of oak and practicing. The final finish should be perfectly smooth. If you can finish raw oak, then you can finish any type of wood. Sanding sealer and a gloss varnish are nice products to practice with.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.