1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinish it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I have a Eusebio Arizaga 20 gauge sidelock double that turned out to be unfired.

My guess is it is 1960's make.

The stock feels like plain walnut with ever so light an oil finish; there is a slightly rough feel to the surface like it has aged in sunlight.

Checkered butt, no dings or damage. Beautiful wood grain that just doesn't show up well as it is. Subjective question...should I refinish, and if yes, how?

I have done guns in tru oil before and may do this one. Would love a Winchester reddish hue and a satin finish.

It is plain and understated but could be stunning in gloss.

I know, I know, my gun do what I want.

thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. ps it is super on the trap field.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Picturz....PLEEZE

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You may want to try just some fine steel wood to smooth the finish and bring up the grain

4. 682b

682b Member

HI, I don't know about you guns value with the original finish but if that is a condensation let me make a suggestion. Before you strip the old finish try one or both of these products . Brownells sells triple f and 5f stock rubbing compounds. I have used both to bring the original beauty and the some to older stocks Just polish (rub) with the triple and then the 5f. Rub till you get the amount of sheen you are happy with. The other are auto dealing compounds Meguiars 105 mirror ultra cut glaze and Meguiar's
    205 ultra polish. Just a word about Tru-Oil it is a very soft finish. I finished several stocks and found that several seasons later they needed to be redone. Rather then striping and refinishing I tried to polish it with some turtle compound. What I found was interesting in that all the Tru-oil was removed with out a lot of effort. I use Custom oil from Brownells and polish it with the ultra cut 105 and then the 205. Just like you said it's yours and do what you want. I have a friend who is a wood worker who finishes box's with Tru-Oil. He likes it because it's easy and who ever busted brush with a wooden box. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.