1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Refinish Beretta Stock....?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Hello.....I have a beautiful EL/EELL Beretta stock set, in great condition, but it has the gloss finish and I much prefer the matt oil like finish....I'm thinking of refinishing....I have some experience finishing and refinishing, bu don't know how to get the Beretta oil/matt finish that is on the newer Beretta guns.....any ideas, experience info would be appreciated...Thanks, WC

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

UGL makes a stripper called ZAR - gel like, brush it on, let it sit, brush off (old tooth brush is perfect).

Does the checkering too.

Little work needed after to prep for re-finish as well...

3. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

Boiled Linseed Oil produces a beautiful and durable satin finish. You'll have to strip off the original gloss finish completely first though. My procedure is as follows, I mix equal parts of BLO and Mineral Spirits, the mix is applied to the wood with a small piece of soft cloth, old (clean) white cotton t-shirts work great for this, a very thin coat is applied and allowed to dry for a bit, then any excess is wiped off, then allow the finish to dry for a minimum of 12 hrs. before applying the next coat. It will take multiple coats (usually about 6) and drying time between coats varies somewhat depending on humidity and temperature. If the wood is nice and smooth when you start you shouldn't need to sand between coats, but you can rub lightly with 0000 steel wool to remove and fibers or dust etc. that may cling while individual coats are drying. Be careful not to get too much mix in checkered areas, a little is all it takes. If the finish starts to have a little more "shine" to it than you'd like this can be reduced with the 0000 steel wool, just go easy, light rubbing usually does the trick. BLO is exceedingly easy to use and produces a beautiful finish but it is time consuming, and the key is to keep your coats light, remove any excess after it's been allowed to dry for awhile, then allow to dry thoroughly before the next coat goes on. You can also web search this finish, it's widely used and there's tons of info on it out there. Good luck.

4. mflora

mflora Member

Larry at Cor-Kel Arms refinished my 687EELL in a factory like mat-oil finish earlier this year. Phillip rebuilt it and my well used late 90s gun could go on the rack at the Beretta Gallery and be sold as new. Refinish was excellent Highly recommended.
    Mark

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

mflora,

Could you put a picture up of the finish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta shotgun refinish