1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ref: S&W 357. Serial Number Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by In plain view, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In plain view

In plain view Member

Just acquired S&W 357 magnum revolver from my son. No idea the model. Does the serial number reflect the model? If so can someone lead me in the right direction? Thanks. Bob

2. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

When you open the cylinder, what are the numbers stamped on the crane? Something like 19-2 or 66-3. That should be your Mod. #.

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

If it is a large frame 357 magnum and has a REG# along with the serial number you might have something.

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

the crane is the arm which allows the cylinder to swing away from the gun when you release it. if you look, the s/n and m/n are located on the frame where the crane comes to rest upon the gun when closed. call s&w with any questions you may have: they provide excellent customer service at all levels

5. In plain view

In plain view Member

Thanks for the info. I'll take a real close look tonight. Bob

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As noted, the model number is stamped inside the crane.

The serial number should be on the bottom of the grip frame. It usually does not indicate model number, but can be used to determine the year of manufacture.

The "Reg" number ccw1911 refers to is a registration serial number for pre-WWII .357 Magnums, so called "Registered magnums" because they were custom made and registered to their owners by the factory. I have one of these, made in 1936. Probably the zenith of American handgun manufacturing. I should get a factory letter on it.

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

the s/n and m/n are stamped on the frame where the crane comes to rest against the frame when the cylinder is closed. i do not know what the numbers stamped on the crane are, but they are not pertinent to this discussion. again, the people at s&w are most cordial

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The serial number is stamped on the "yoke". Colt calls
    it the "crane".

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

i was wrong; you are correct: it is termed the yolk on a s&w. however, there is no s/n, m/n on the yolk: it is on the frame

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think we understand.....

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

bde, I am curious now as to what you have. Hopefully you will see the model number and let us know. A picture or two would be nice as well.

I like Smith & Wesson's very much.

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.