1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reecoil Reducer Settings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

A shooting friend and I disagree on how a recoil reducer should be set. I have a Gracoil on my BT-100 and he has a PFS stock. I shot his gun several rounds and it is stiff like the old Browning Pluses were. I have my Gracoil adjusted so it probably gives about a half or 3/4 of an inch when I shoot. I have a Browning plus Cit. and swapped out the recoil mech for a Allen Timney several years ago which is more foregiving in the recoil department. I have my Gracoil set nearly identical to the Timney. He got the idea that it should move very, very little from a shooting class he took. I personally don't think that his method is taking as much advantage of the system capabilities as he should. During cold weather he gets his cheek bruised badly and sometimes it even bleeds. Your thought please.

2. butcher

butcher Member

I talked to your friend and he was given the advice by the fellow who makes Bump Buster recoil device. You want the recoil device to give but not too much. The bottom line is experiment and see what works best for you.

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If the device collaspes about 3/8 of an inch using 1 1/8 oz.shot-- 2 3/4 dram shells you have a good starting place.....

4. butcher

butcher Member

Dave the PFS stock has never made my cheek bleed.And if you get too much slack in your reduction device you can get slapped in the cheek plus it probaly wouldn't be too good for shooting doubles.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

According to Rod (Rods Custom Stocks) who installed my RAD - the mechanism should never bottom out - so set accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.