1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reduce trigger pull Colt Python-How, who, how much

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I'm looking to shoot my Colt Python in a center fire pistol league. Although the trigger pull in single action is light and crisp (really beautiful), in double action it is very heavy - not good for rapid fire. Can the trigger pull in double action be reduced with out affecting the pull in single action? How is it done? Are there any gunsmiths's you can recomend to do this type of work?
    How much would something like this cost? Thanks, Joe S.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

One easy way is to replace the spring. I don't know any Colt smiths around but be careful I had a Python ruined by some guy who short stroked it.

TB

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Get used to it, don't try and mess with it. I took one to gunsmith school. I took it apart and tried bending the spring to lighten the pull. It took the instructor and I two days to get it back in time. They are the worst to work on.

JON

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

It's difficult to find a good gunsmith who can work
    on a Python action. Back in the seventies, there were
    alot of Pythons being shot in Police PPC and there was
    3 or 4 individuals who could put a good DA on a Colt.
    Reeves Junkind out of Texas was one of the best but
    but he no longer does them. The S&W L frame pretty
    much took Colt out of the PPC game.

5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Don't touch it! (Except to fire it).

bluedsteel

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As one who performed warranty service and repair on the E and I frame Colt's, I would suggest that the owner leave the gun alone. If some of the parts are "polished", that may be enough to cause timing issues.

A reduced mainspring, if still available, may give a better feel, but may cause misfires.

I have worked on many of them, and would be willing to tune it, but still stay with my original recommendation. A bent yoke can cause a poor double action. Open the cylinder and snap the gun enough to get a feel for it. Then do the same with the cylinder closed. If no difference, the yoke is okay. Leave it alone. If the action deteriorates, the yoke is likely bent. Colt's will still work on your gun, but you won't care for the price or the turnaround time.

Last but not least, make sure the sideplate screws are tight.

A Smith Model 14-6 38 Target Masterpiece limited run will out shoot about any revolver ever made. See pic above. They were a small run (2000) through the Custom Shop a long time ago, and don't go cheap. I have seen four in my life, and have owned three of them. The two I have now are not for sale. I have never had anything that would touch them for accuracy. The K frame gun with the full lug L frame barrel combines the best of both worlds.

7. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Don't dick with it.

8. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Have looked at the value of the Python lately? Put that damn gun in the safe and go get a used S & W mod. 19. I had one years ago that cost $600.00 for a spring and trigger job and that gun was sweet. I sold it to a friend with the option to buy it back or if I out live him its willed to me.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Listen to those good recommendations!! Get a Smith and put the Python away or shoot it as is..after you get bored with that game you'll be glad you didnt monkey with it

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Calvin gave wise advice.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The reason Pythons are so expensive is not because they were
    hand tuned. It was because of Colt's union. They drove the prices
    up. Also Colt never kept pace with new equipment ie: CNC machining,
    CAD Cam, etc. There are using it now but for years they dragged their
    feet. The Colt 1911 is just now catching up with their competitors
    for fit and finish.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If Frank Glen of Arizona or Walt Sherman of Florida are still around and doing actions either one would be my pick. Jerry Moran, Reeves Jungkind, Fred Sadowski, are names from the past that did excellent work on the Python but they are surely retired by now. If not I would send it to Colt, they won't do a full on competition trigger but they will make it a little lighter. You are going to wait awhile for it to get back. With the leaf spring the above mentioned guys can get the action not to stack but they pretty much re-engineered the action. This is why SW's are popular, the coil spring action doesn't by nature stack up.

13. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Ken Kelly at Mag-Na-Port is the best. Call him, you won't be sorry.

barry

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Stay away from Sherman. He was the guy that ruined mu Python..

TB

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had a Python, had it worked on and the gun was never the same, leave it alone ... It is what it is and thats the way it should be ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. JTEA

JTEA Member

Good thread for Colt info. I was fortunate to see Jerry Miculek shoot this summer. I asked him about his trigger pull and he said it was lightened to 7 lbs. and that he doesn't shoot cheap (hard) Mexican primers. How light do you expect to go? Perhaps you would do well to get a Smith (get a two stage trigger job) and leave the Python as is?

JT

17. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I honestly didn't realise that the Python was that complicated to work on.
    As it stands the DA trigger pull is probably better than 13lbs. Does/did anybody make a reduced pull main spring for this gun? Would it be hard to replace?
    For those of you who say, just leave the gun in the safe - If you had a Ferrari wouldn't at least take it to church on Sundays?

As an aside - I ran into an old friend that I grew up with in Brooklyn. We used to do a little shooting and hunting together. I asked him if he still shoots (he now lives on Staten Ilsand NY). He said no, that once he got married and started a family, it was difficult to get away. But, that even if he wanted to, he couldn't. He said that one day about a year ago the police came to his door and asked for his pistols. It seems that he had allowed his pistol permit to lapse and the police were there to confiscate his guns. They told him that he had so much time to get his permit in order or the guns would be destroyed. He never went back to reclaim his guns. He had a Colt Python, a Colt Gold cup and a Smith and Wesson 44 mag all in mint condition.

18. sliverbulletexpress

Frank Glenn is the guy you need, I found his website and it looks like he still does Pythons. He will do one for you as well as it can be done.

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Joe;

Sounds like you're going to have your Python "improved" no matter what. The rest of us can take consolation in the fact that when another Python is ruined, those remaining are worth that much more.

bluedsteel

20. sliverbulletexpress

Frank Glenn won't ruin your Python, it will be modified and the collector value lessened for those who want pristine untouched guns, but it will shoot a lot easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

colt python main spring

colt python trigger job

colt python trigger pull

colt python trigger pull weight
how to lighten the trigger pull on a colt python
reeves jungkind python for sale
replace main spring colt python losetrigger pull
trigger job for colt python