1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Redlands Shot Curtain Approved!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RSP, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSP

RSP Member

Redlands Shot Curtain Approved!

Yesterday, The Redlands Planning Commission approved our Conditional Use Permit modification to install the remaining 1071 feet of the shot curtain you see above. That picture shows just the first 129 feet that we put up as a test section. The curtain will be 1200 feet long by 45 feet high and the panels cover 34 vertical feet. We will have the next big section done in the next couple of months.

Without this curtain, we would have had to close down Redlands Shooting Park because our shot was falling into an endangered species habitat. Because all the lead just falls down at the base we will be able to eventually cover the cost of the curtain through collecting the lead.

We think that the background the solid curtain provides will make it the best background to shoot against anywhere. The orange targets really “pop” against it. In fact, we think it will be worth the trip to come shoot the “Redlands Wall” and we are thinking about a special shoot for that.

We also want to thank Jim Tyner for his work fixing this problem. He was the first person I called when we got the letter from the EPA. I knew he had created the lead management program for the North Hollywood Club. He came up with the shot curtain idea, negotiated that as an acceptable solution with the EPA, worked with the special fabric manufacturer, found the right utility poles, got the wind loads calculated, found the construction company, negotiated the lease modifications with our landlord, created the construction plans, drawings and plot plan, wrote the CUP modification application for the City, worked with the planning department and then appeared for us before the Planning Commission. Because of his knowledge we haven’t had to pay any legal or engineering fees saving us 10s of thousands of dollars. He did this all on a volunteer basis and it’s a 2 hour drive each way when he has had to come here and meet with people. If you see him at a TriCounty Shoot, say thanks.

Terry & Jacque Bilbey

rsp_2012_16054.jpg

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Outstanding news you guys! I haven't had the opportunity to shoot where the curtain is yet, but everyone tells me it is just the best background you can imagine. Looking forward to getting my chance.

Kevin

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

I think that Jim Tyner should have his picture on a special plaque of appreciation in the club room for his efforts on behalf of the best facility in Southern California.

Dave Swerdlin

4. RSP

RSP Member

Dave,

I think that's a great idea! I will make it happen!

Allison Bilbey

5. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Looks great. Any news on the installation of the bunker?

6. Charliebigteeth

Charliebigteeth TS Member

Terry, it turned out real nice. I am glad the construction crew worked out for you./ Phil

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I'm sure the cost is very high but I can see other clubs doing the same thing. Can you post an estimated cost, where to find this curtain, & what's it made of.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Is it bothered by cold weather, wind, etc. Mainly the etc.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This sure bodes well for the future of trapshooting. "New generation, new requirements."

Congratulations and kudos Tyner, Terry and crew! Here's to Redlands!

10. Las Vegas 1000

Las Vegas 1000 TS Member

This material is a special polymer ballistic material developed by the University of Mass. It is woven to order by a company called Hope Global. It has a very unique weave pattern that absorbs and dissipates the pellet impact energy. Each panel is 43' long by 8.5 feet wide(high). The panels are UV treated with a projected life of 5+ years You need to budget $600-$650 per panel.

We are using 55', Class A poles buried 9-10' deep with 3 guy wires front and back to common anchors. The panel support wires guy the poles side to side. The screen is rated to 55 mph winds at 90 degrees.

Depending on your offsite costs such as permits, legal and engineering you can figure about $150.00+ per lineal foot as shown in the picture. If you have a pretty high volume Club, you can calculate your payback based upon lead recovery. You will recover probably 90-95% of the lead that hits the curtain because it all falls within about 10 feet in front of the curtain.

Not only can this type of installation save a club from closing, it can also allow the development of a club where there might not be enough land available
    for a flat field shot fall zone but there is enough distance behind the curtain for a safety zone.

If anyone has a problem that they think this might solve I would be glad to talk about it. The guys at Montpelier Gun Club helped me and I will be glad to pay that knowledge, plus what I have learned, forward. Just send me a PM.

JT

11. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Wow what a nice way to resolve the EPA problem the back round looks superb. It reminds me of the back round used for the Olympic shotgun events. This could be the wave of the future with lead prices rising to new levels. Posts like this make me very proud and happy for my fellow shooters.

Buddy in FLA

12. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The curtains look great! I wish we could have implemented something like this to save Miramar.

-Aaron

13. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Terry & Jacque,

Congratulations on getting everything you needed approved. It’s exciting to know that shooting at Redlands Shooting Park will be around for all shooters to enjoy for many years to come.

I have worked with Jim on many different projects over the years like this one and not surprised at all of the results and the time you accomplished this in.
    Keep up the great work!

Gary Bombalicki

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

From the 16 yard line how far is it to the curtain?

15. shotshooter

shotshooter Member

It is 80 yards on trap 8, 4 through 7 will be at 90 yards thanks Terry

16. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

We use those at Oakdale Sportsmans Cllub. They are working great. Our's hang in the vertical position. With purple or vermillion colored glasses you really don't see the curtains, just the bird.
    Good luck with them.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

One other question(s): Curious how well the UV protection will last in the hot Redlands sun. Will the panels hold up five years at Redlands? If so, sounds remarkable. Great product for other uses, including patios. I bet the UV stuff in the weave makes the material more expensive to a not inconsiderable degree. Have there been any problems of shot sticking in the screen; were that to happen, well, one would think the screen would be more vulnerable to high winds. Given these practical problems, I am super impressed that a material has been developed that has a track record of working. Wonderful.

18. deankol

deankol Member

I bet the smog does a better job of hiding the mountains than the shot curtain.

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

In Italy, most Bunker ranges have shot recovery set up like this, the synthetic material on the slop last many years, there're trenches at the bottom of the slop angled to the collecting buckets under it, they say it recovers 90+% of the shots.

I think it's difficult for us to utilize the same slop fall zone because we have yardage differences in HC. But it's possible to make a shot collecting system under the curtain.

stevew_2008_0303129.jpg

20. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I for one am looking forward to it. Anything that keeps RSP open is OK with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.