1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reddot powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

How lond will powder last.I have some reddot that is maybe 15 years old.How do i tell If it is bad.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

If it does not smell "sour" it will be OK.

Call Alliant if in doubt. They are helpful.

Don

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have some that has been around for well over 40 years. As long as it's stored properly, it should last quite some time. I compared the old vs the new a year or so ago when I started to get some light drops from one lot. The old lot was right on the money. I loaded some for kicks and it worked as good as it did the day it was made. Chronographed the loads and they were spot on. Just give it the smell test and check for obvious visual discoloration, etc.

4. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

It wil have a heavy acidity smell. But, if it has been kept in the dark and capped good should work fine. I shot some here awhile back that had been in a Herco Red Dot 3 Lb. can and it shot fine for me after the smell test. Rich.)inPeoria,A.Z.)

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

If the powder has an acrid smell that burns your nose and eyes, it is decomposing and is bad. If it has the normal acetone smell, it's ok. If it was stored where it was dry and protected from extremes in heat and cold, it can last 100 years.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fifteen year old Red Dot should be the same as factory fresh. That is not very old for powder.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.