1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red line to buy a ton of shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

When shot goes below what price will you buy a ton of it?

That's 80 bags at $20 or $1600 which is my red line but it gets pretty pink around $22-$23.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Joe, what are y'all - at Naperville - paying per ton of steel #7?

Bob

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Bob, Club members pay $1.30 a pound which figures to be $2600 a ton, delivery included. Was just a buck a pound for years. Went up a ton or two ago. Good to hear from you.

Joe

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Based on earlier convos we had, I played with some 24g & 1oz loads (albeit faster than you load: I used my Bismuth & PB data) on a 65m wobble-trap, and I was mightily impressed with how good both loads broke out-of-range birds, even in the wind.

Regardless of what you said, it took a great leap of faith to shoot even the small steel in my 1928 Brit duck gun, but careful measurements before and after a few 100rds showed zero peening in the chokes.

I used B&P wads, rather than the Vagner, but if I was going to do much steel loading, it is hard to argue with how much cheaper the Vagner are than the B&P.

Bob

5. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

Joe

If you need more buyers at $20. Let me know I would take 60 -80 bags. The more you buy the better the price. I think it will be a while before it gets to that. That is for new shot not re-claimed ?

Mark

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

My red-line is $25. I suspect it will be there by July.

Joe, I doubt we will ever see $20 shot again - but I hope I am wrong. I would buy 3 tons at that price, and be set for a very long time.

Over the last 5 years I have bought in at $23 or so a bag, and purchased 80-120 bags at a time. So far this has worked very well for me, and I have not had to suffer $30+ shot prices.

Don Verna

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Joe, I'll be ready for 20-30 bags myself. Maybe we should consolidate our purchase and see what we can do? 80+30+? How many bags could we get?

Then there's the delivery....could get sticky.

8. loop02

loop02 Member

Our club just got some more, and we are still selling it for $28.00 to members, $29.00 to nonmembers. we make a buck a bag. 5 bags a month limit, We bought a couple tons last year, and we were selling it for $25.00. Shot went up, and people wanted to buy it all, so we set the limit. We only bought about 50 bags this time, as we expect it to go down. we get it delivered when we get targets.We use Kens RS.If it gets to $20.00 I will take a ton myself. I have 50-60 bags now, various sizes, mostly 7 1/2

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Living in Alaska...we have different economics. last time I bought shot it was 10.5 tons - 21,000 pounds.

We split it among 8 of us.

I would never entertain the idea of LESS than 2 tons.....at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.