1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Fox predator(s)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by John Stefanowicz, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

One or maybe more red fox have now taken 5 chickens and 8 guineas that were not caged. Have visual spottings 3 times in two weeks. They or it come in at 8:00 am, ll:30 am, 1:00 am and other various times. They'll leave a pile of feathers, but one was not dragged back into a section of heavy bushes and trees, and was recovered, without legs or head. It can be approached to within about 40 yards. It can outrun my very fast dog. The dog seems to have isolated a den or two in the bushes by scent (very pungent).

Yes, the laying hens are very secured. The young guineas likewise.
    My full choke or skeet choke would only end up killing the poultry. Beyond 40 yards the spread is too great. They are too fast for me to use a .22 HP with a scope on the pistol. I'm not confident of a 9mm or .38 special or even my 357 pistols at that distance.

Sounds like I need to buy back a rifle I didn't have a use for two years ago.
    Any thoughts? Pity accepted, but not PETA promotions. Have A Heart trap?

Thanks a lot, John

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Full choke and "Dead Coyote" loads by Heavy shot. If you kill one bird in the fire, at least you'll save the rest.

3. DJM

DJM Member

A coyote hunting friend has reported several drop dead coyote shots at 70 paced out yards with 3"-12 guage #4 buckshot.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

In general you would starve to death if you had to live off eating foxes you catch in a Havahart ( Box trap) style trap. Foxes are very easy to kill and at the rate they are killing your chickens I suggest a magnum load of #4 shot in your full choke. At 40 yards it will kill a Red fox so dead so fast it will make your head swim. It's a fox not a coyote. The Red fox is the size of a house cat with a big fluffy tail. House cats are much tougher to kill then a Red Fox as I have seen both of them take a load of #4's at 40 to 50 yards.

Not to be the big mean guy, but who really gives a crap if you wound them? As long as they die as a result of being shot your needs have been met. I am sure your chickens will endorse my plan. They have been watching their homies being eaten and are not excited about the prospect of who is going to be next!! Jeff

5. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I built a live box type trap with a drop down sliding door on one end....simple trigger board pulled a string tied to a nail that held a loop on another string that held the door open and released the door. It had a screen partition wall behind which I loaded a live rooster. Rooster crowed, fox, bobcat, coon went in and was trapped....loud live bait is tough to beat.

The good thing about traps....you do not need to be present to win!

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Mismost, I never thought about using live bait. I think they even sell box traps with live bait boxes built into the back of them. I didn't think you could get one in a box trap but sounds like you prove me wrong!
    Let me put it another way...Fur trappers don't use box traps for foxes as success rates have been very low. However, this live bait thing could change the game and the rules. Shooting them woul;d still be my method oc choice but I would keep a box trap set with a live chicken for bait until I had Mr. RED accounted for. Good luck! Jeff

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Do you seriously mean to tell me you don't have a .22 rifle laying around...or a nearby WalMart that does?

John, you have the PERFECT excuse to buy a new gun. Use it already! Never waste an opportunity like this...the fox will last another week or two, but you'll have the gun forever.

8. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

Folks, thank you very much. I WILL have a red fourth of July. John

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Wire a chicken with dynamite. Boom!

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The super size rat zapper trap will do the job for you. It's bigger than the standard size so that a medium sized Tom Cat will be able to enter. One baits the back, target animal enters and zap....40K volts through the pads. Two seconds later, zap, another 40K. Quick, clean and very effective.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

#5 Hevy-Shot out of a full choke will turn a fox inside out at 60 yards!! Coyotes too! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

red fox box trap bait