1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red dot ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Need info why anyone would use anything but Red Dot---I have used Red Dot since the 60s and never had a problem---Why use anything else???sjb---

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Friend if it works for you that is all that matters! I know many people who settle on one powder and are quire happy with the choice! Some choose Rd Dot, I know others who shoot green dot , American Select, and others who like Clays.

I really don't belive one will get you more targets then another. I would not feel handicapped in the least if Red Dot was the only powder I could shoot. Just glad I don't have to choose. Jeff

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Jeff---What do U use?---sjb---

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I shot Red Dot for 20 years. It's a good choice. Last year I switched
    to Clay's. It's cleaner and feels a touch softer in recoil. Price is
    about the same.

5. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Red Dot is far too dirty. I used to shoot American Select. When AS got hard to get I switched to Clays and then back to E3 because it's cleaner than the new Clay Dot. I hope this answers your question.

Kip

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't know what U mean by too dirty---I have no problem with a dirty mix from red dot---I clean my gun after every 2 or 3 hundred rds and no problem with dirt---How much cleaner should it B---Just wondering---sjb---

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Clean enough that my fingers don't get black taking empties out of the shell catcher, and clean enough that my gas auto's make primordial ooze in less that 150 rounds.

Kip

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't shoot an auto and my fingers don't get dirty I have no ax to grind---Just wondering---sjb---

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Alliant powders are all very good. Secondly they are priced right. Dirty? not really!

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I agree with Dave P---sjb---

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I use Red Dot, E3, Green Dot and Herco and they are all great powders in my opinion. I have never had any trouble finding powder like I did years ago when I used 700 X and PB. Alliant powders are made in the USA to boot.

It costs a little more but E3, which has a similar burn rate to Red Dot, is super clean and works well for me in 1 oz loads in any kind of weather.

Ed Ward

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used Hodgdon Tite Group because it metered well, worked great in almost all pistol applications and worked fine for 12 gauge, so I would just buy several kegs of it at a time. The guy I bought powder from would discount pretty good at 4 kegs and up. The shells all went bang and every target I was lined up on broke. I do not know if that makes it better or worse than anything else, but that is why I used so much of it.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I look at it this way I have to clean my gun anyway so the cleanliness of the powder is irrelevant.

AS far as your question is concerned. I will ask one that might give you a different angle on your out look.

How do you get to shoots??? I drive a Chevy but I am betting if you asked 100 shooters the same question. You just might get a 75 plus answers and they won't all be the same.

Reason personal preference everyone figure out what is important to them and they make a choice.

You have done the same with your powder. My big question to you is if tomorrow you couldn't get Red Dot. What would you replace it with???

Bob Lawless

14. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Shot Red Dot for many years, went to Clays, then to Clay Dot (a little cheaper), last year bought Promo (no Clays or Clay Dot available). Was going to use more Promo this year but last Sunday got a deal on 2 kegs of Red Dot plus 3000+ primers. Probably use that for the forseeable future. Clays is cleaner but Promo is cheaper. Supposeably the new Red Dot is cleaner.
    Shoot safe. Ron

15. cp

cp TS Member

I went from Red Dot to Promo. Back yardage, I have had successful results with Green Dot. Really can not understand why.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Promo for cost and Green Dot for lower pressures on heavier (1200fps) loads. Unique for 1250. Red Dot/Promo will handle 7/8 and 1oz loads, plus the lighter 1 1/8 without much trouble.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"...why anyone would use anything but Red Dot..."

That's like asking why anybody would drive anything but a Ford.

I like Hodgdon products. They're a local company, and I personally know many of their employees, including Chris Hodgdon.

Clays for singles, Titegroup for handicap, Universal Clays for 20 gauge and 28 gauge, Lil' Gun for .410, Longshot for field loads, and Varget for my 7.62x54R rifle cartridges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

red dot for trap