1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fergster1, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fergster1

fergster1 TS Member

I usually shoot International Clays but it is not available in my area. I had to buy some Red Dot to take its place. I don't find a recipe for something close to where I was. Does someone know if I'm ok with 19.2 grains of Red Dot with a Winchester Primer and a 1oz Green Duster wad in a Win AA hull.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

You look to be close to max. with that load.

I load 16.5 (for the gf) and 17.7 gr (for me) with the same components.

If you are loading 1 oz to reduce recoil why load to max? If you are trying to save money then I understand wanting to push it a bit.

The green duster bad lists 19.0 as the max. I would drop to the next smaller bushing.

Don Verna

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Red Dot does NOT substitute for International. You should have gotten Green Dot and your conversion loads would have been closer. You are loading way TOO MUCH Red Dot powder for a 1 oz. load. Try between 17.8 to 18.2 for your load and you will still be in the 1,220's to 1,250's. At 19.2 of Red Dot for 1 oz. you will be in the 1,400 fps. and blow patterns if not your gun. Better get a reloading book and follow the recipes... and please don't shoot next to me. Fred

4. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Shotshell

12 Gauge

2 3/4-in. Winchester AA Plastic Shells

1 shot wt.,
    Win 209 ,
    WAA12SL & DRXL-1 & Jammer XL-2,

--- 1oz., Win 209 , Red Dot 19gr., WAA12SL & DRXL-1 & Jammer XL-2, 1250fps, 10,500psi

As always please refer to the Alliant powder reloading guide.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Alliant website has International loads for Red Dot.. I suggest you look at them... For 24 gram.. I use 19.6 grains with DRXXL/12SO/CB4100/Duster and have tested all in Remington and AA hulls.. Pressure is about 9300 in all.. Winchester or Fiocchi primers.. I think 19.6 would be to hot for 1 oz..

6. teddytheyorkie

teddytheyorkie TS Member

If you go to the following link http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm, apparently this person used the same consistent load with various primers and chronographed them and and it showed from their data that the cheddite 209 was had the lowest velocity of those compared. Mark

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Always consult the Reloading Manual and Alliant has an online version.

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I use 17.5 grains of Red Dot with your same components. Works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.