1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ThorsDad, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

I noticed one of our shooting partners shells sounded a little loud to me , asked him what he was loading 21 grains of Red Dot 1 1/8 #8 wwaa12 wads sts hulls. I checked the Alliant site and it shows no loads whith that much powder. Should we be concerned shooting next to him ? Jay

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

There are some with Federal hulls. Winchesters or Remington would be of concern.

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

put in ear plugs

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

And I get a little nervous with 17 grains because the Alliant website shows pressures around 10,000 PSI.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'd be concerned.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bring it to his attention ask him why he loads them so stout. Show him some published data. Show him that he could save X amount of grains per shot if he just nocked it down a bit. All else fails let everyone know especially range officer, dont shoot next to him. Some people just dont get it. I asked 1 member why he runs such a high charge weight....."only bushing I have". Jay the primer he is useing may also increase the preasure even more.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is the max load alliant recommends for red dot with recipe that fits your description

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Getting him to cut back to 17 grains would get him 80 more shells per pound of powder. Some times I treat these cituations like this. Do not tell him hes crazy or stupid for useing so much. Just say hey, ya know I load X grains and was surprised how well they worked plus I get about X amount more per lbs. I have only been loading a short time, but have seen a lot of what not to do. I stay clear of the multi hull guys and theres a few who glue their crimps shut??????

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I load 17 grains of Red Dot in a 1 oz. load using a Fiocchi primer in a STS and/or Gun Club hull. Remington TGT12 wad. It's all anyone needs to break targets under most circumstances. 21 grains is ridiculous. My opinion. Ed

10. sum-rifle

sum-rifle TS Member

My load in 18.5 grains of Red Dot with 1 1/8 oz shot in a Win AA hull and Win White wades. That is a pretty hot load that I have used for Dove, Quail, Chukar and pheasant for many years.

I would not stand next to him shooting.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Thorsdad

I'd be a bit concerned. There are quite a few reloaders that don't pay attention to the little things, like dangerous pressures and sticking to the published data. 21 grains of Red Dot with that combination of components would probably cause some damage to his firearm over time. Just how much time, might depend on luck and what primer he was using. I'd give him a copy of the Alliant Handout Book, or print the data from the website for him and strongly "suggest" that he stay within the bounds of reliable data and common sense. There is no combination of components that lists 21 grains of Red Dot for a 1 1/8 ounce payload in an STS hull. If there were, I'd flag that data as suspect. Only the 1 or the 7/8 ounce loads even come close to 21 grains.

12. shot maker for dad

shot maker for dad TS Member

WOW THATS HOT. I TRIED THE SAME LOAD AND SHOT IT THROUGH MY MACHINE THAT MASURES THE VELOCITY AND HES RUNING ABOUT 1365FPS I WOULD TELL HIM TO CUT BACK. OR YOU SHOULD STAND BACK.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

sum-rifle said "That is a pretty hot load that I have used for Dove, Quail, Chukar and pheasant for many years. I would not stand next to him shooting."

I am curious sum-rifle if you think it is a load that OK for Quail, Chukar, and Pheasant for many years why would you think it unsafe to stand next on the trap line? After all if the load is unsafe it is unsafe no matter where you shoot it in the woods or on the trap line.

Bob Lawless

14. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Thank you for answers and I will have a talk with him . Jay

15. sum-rifle

sum-rifle TS Member

ivanhoe, lincher100 is right. I was saying the load I use (18.5 grains of Red Dot) is a pretty hot load. Very safe and within the published data but on the "Hot" side. The 21 grains as far as I know is too much powder and potentially unsafe.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

sum-rifle I apologize after rereading the post I see what I missed the first time. Again I am sorry it was my mistake.

Bob Lawless

17. atashooter

atashooter Member

18. Pump Gun Pimp

Pump Gun Pimp TS Member

I have used 18.5 Red Dot with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2. It makes my model 12 sound like the above picture...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting trap with a red dot