1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot weight variances

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birdhunt1111, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdhunt1111

birdhunt1111 TS Member

I have been reloading Red Dot for years and had a strange occurrence this past weekend. I am using a RCBS Grand loader that normally throws around 18.2 grains for a 1 oz 1/8 load. I reloaded about 600 shells on Saturday with no issues checking the powder amounts every 75-100 shells. On Sunday, I started reloading and started getting around 17.6 grains. The reloader is in my basement, so there isn’t a lot of temperature change and I run a dehumidifier so the air moisture didn’t change. The powder for both days was the same lot out of the same 8 lb jug. I checked the bushing and everything was clean. I continued to check the loads about every 10 shells and it didn’t change from the 17.6. I wasn't having any other issues with the loader. I went to a larger bushings and it went up to around 18, but ended up stopping after loading around 100 shells. Any ideas what might have caused this?? Thanks, Chad

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

did you calibrate your scales?

3. birdhunt1111

birdhunt1111 TS Member

Yes, I did try re-calibrating my scale.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't know why the change but I would continue to use 17.6 gr as I think the pressures with 18 gr are close to the max and I would rather be on the safe side.

5. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I don't know about rcbs,but my mec did the same thing and I found out the charge bar was not sliding far enough over the powder drop hole.It took a few minutes to adjust and has been fine since.I just take a peek at it once in a while.

joe

6. birdhunt1111

birdhunt1111 TS Member

Based on my components, I should be running around 10500 for pressure but will take that into consideration.

I thought the bar was sliding like normal, but will check that.

Chad

7. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Funny you bring this up as I have had some issues this winter also. I have a MEC 9000G & use a #30 bushing which drops about 16.7 grains. Once in a great while I get a shell that sounds a bit on the soft side, breaks the target, but sounds funky. I tried my #31 bushing and that runs around 17.5-17.6 grains. Loaded couple hundred with this & seemed OK. I would like about 17 even so I took the # 30 bushing & did a little honing with a file, emery cloth & steel wool. Now the strange things started to happen! Instead of dropping more, much of the time the damn thing started dropping less powder! Some were running in the 15.5 to 16 grain range and others up toward the 17 range. I loaded 1 box & took it to the club last weekend expecting a number of bloopers. I warned the squad & carried a whole handfull of spares. Not 1 problem & all sounded good. I checked barrel between shots to be on the safe side & no problems at all. Weights were checked on a Lyman digital scale & double checked on my old RCBS beam scale. Like you, my cellar stays very constant in temp & humidity. I have no logical explanation!

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The bushings are dropping the right amount of powder. The difference in weight is due to the gravitational pull of the Moon. HMB

9. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I cut my powder variance to under .2 by using a powder baffle, an hydraulic assist and electrically grounding my loader. Only time this varies is when I change powder lots.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When you are loading with your MEC progressive loader look at the slide screw and see if it is going all the way to the left, some steel based hulls take motre pressure to resizes and the bar does not go all the way to the left, I make sure mine takes the bar screw all the way to the end of the slot that way I know the bushing is centered to drop the powder,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

try cleaning the powder drop tube. might have residue build up. Just a thought

12. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Occasional static electricity?

I also had the same problem with my bar not going it's full travel to the right.
    Adjusted it and all is well.

13. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I check the slide on the bar all the time, having learned this lesson the hard way 25 years ago! :( The drop tube might be something though.....hadn't thought about that.

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Be sure to ground the reloader to make sure there is no static electricity. The static electricity will sometimes cause the powder to stick to the sides of the bushing or the drop tube.

We do not often have that problem in Florida but it often happens in dry states.

15. birdhunt1111

birdhunt1111 TS Member

I have a powder baffle in it already, but don't have it grounded. I will look into doing that and will also check the drop tube. I haven't had a chance to reload again to check it but will this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chad. Kansas

16. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Ditto here withe the powder baffle but not grounded. Will give that a try. Funny how it has never bothered before.

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I notice a change in weight according to the amount of powder in the bottle---
    I keep my bottle around the 3/4 down to 1/4 and will notice a few 10th dofference--I also keep tapping the bottle to let powder settle-----Called Mec some time back and they feel that a few 10th either way is no bother---Also you can try a static dryer cloth attached to the top of bottle with 1/2 inside and attached to the cap---works for me---George

18. pulllit

pulllit Member

birdhunt1111,

Your powder drop variation may be caused by the length of the powder drop tube. If it is too short you will not push the powder shut off gate all the way open.

Proper adjustment of the drop tube will push the plate about 1/16 of an inch past the casting. Check your RCBS manual for this setting.

Jim

19. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have loaded red dot for years, and dealt with static electricity, and the like causing abnormal drop weights.

I finally found a small 115 V. motor that I fastened an eccentric to the shaft, then mounted on the rear of my 366.

I plug this in when reloading, and the small vibration keeps the powder drops consistent.

Give it a try, and just a slight vibration worked well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.