1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot vs Green Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perezal, Jun 23, 2013.

1. perezal

perezal Member

I want to buy some powder for trap and hunting, but what powder is better?

2. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Green dot out of the two. Slower burner. Lower pressure with good speed up to 1250. But there are much better powders for both field and trap.

Brady

3. perezal

perezal Member

What other powders are better?

4. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Well it all really depends on speed and load weight my friend. I load 1200 and 1250 fps for trap and sporting clays. PB or 7625 work great. 1400 fps plus longshot powder for me works great in my 1.25 oz loads. If ya give me some more info I may be able to help ya a little more.

Brady

5. perezal

perezal Member

I want to load 7/8oz and 1oz loads. Win 209 primers, TGT wads, Remington gun clubs.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Red Dot for your needs. More Hundred Straights with Red Dot than with all other powders combined.

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Red Dot for 7/8 and Green Dot for 1oz. Jake

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My favorite for 7/8 oz is American Select. I believe Red Dot would work fine for you.

SW

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

"More Hundred Straights with Red Dot than with all other powders combined"

I wonder who's in charge of keeping track of such statistics?

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

800-X & Unique are very versatile on 1 1/8th oz to 1 1/2oz

GB
    DLS

11. missemucho

missemucho Member

Try claydot; only comes in 8 lb kegs but it's clean and works well with your components.
    John

12. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Greendot and unique are the best of both worlds. The statement more one hundred straights I agree with aprice. I believe it's a statement made by alliant powder. I can't confirm those statements,but I load a lot of red dot and green dot. Now I load any powder I can get that's made in America. If there was only one powder left in the world I would choose greendot.

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

Yep, I've seen the marketing statement from Alliant, but I think it's just hype. No one keeps track of what powder broke what straight. I love the Red and the Green myself. Shooting a 1oz with Green Dot load now that's working mighty well. I also like that it's compatible with most hull/primer/wad combinations without changing any bushings.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Ahh- that question has been asked a million times since Hercules introduced Green Dot in 1965.

I agree with others, Green Dot for 1 ounce, Red Dot for 7/8.

Wayne

15. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

700X if you can find it

16. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Im glad to see this thread, ive been reloading for 6 years or so, so i know there is A LOT i don't know.

Powder choice has much to do with payload(7/8 1oz 1-1/8) Im shooting 1 oz for trap and sporting clays.(win AA, green dot and a green duster)

I was shooting red dot and promo for a long while, then i tryed unique and green dot for some handicap loads, and soon found green dot in a 1 oz load seems to shoot like a dream compaired to red dot, a lower P.S.I. and a recoil "push" rather then a recoil "punch"

im now able to keep my head on my stock and scores have been going up, and up.

I know some of this is fact, and some of this is just in my head! any thoughts?

17. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Red Dot was the factory load for years in Fed paper. Not the same RD that we could buy but RD none the less. This may be the basis for the most 100s statement. Only "black mark" for any powder I can verify from use, 800 X did not perform well in cold weather, ignition problems.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Yeah, only American powder for sure. But Italian, Japanese, Spanish, German, Turkish or American shotguns are fine..... so are Toyota and BMW cars. We just don't want them dirty Australians getting any of our money - ain't that right, Boys?

Come on, guys. The Aussies are some of the best Allies we've ever had.

19. perezal

perezal Member

Ok then I will get both red dot and green dot.

20. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

My brother-in-law is a registered skeet shooter for many years and is a big believer in the Green Dot is a gentle push but Red Dot kicks like hell school of thought. With 1 ounce up to 1250 and 1 and 1 1/8 up to 1200. I can't tell the difference and I have shot well over 250, 000 of them; probaby a lot more.

Search tags for this page

red dot vs green dot

red dote vs blue dot vs green dot