1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot vs Clays

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by johnalden, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnalden

johnalden TS Member

Kind of new at trap shooting would like some opinions and receipies. What's the best?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I load both Clays and Red Dot. (I am slowly using my Clays inventory up and will use Red Dot only) I like to load 17 grains of Red Dot, (or Clays, makes no difference), STS hulls, (or Gun Clubs, makes no difference), 1 oz. #8, TGT 12 wad and a Fiocchi primer. This makes a good soft shooting 16 yard load. I load handicap using the same components except use 17.8 grains of powder, (Clays or Red Dot), Remington Figure 8 wad and I reamed out a P/W bushing that was once a 1 oz. bushing to throw 1 1/16 oz of shot. These are the only 2 loads I use. Ed

3. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Look for some PROMO and never look back.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For economy, I'd use Red Dot over Clays and I'd rather go with Promo, since it's a bit less expensive than either. Last time I bought them, Clays cost me $102 for 8lbs, Red Dot $92, and Promo $76 each in a case of 2. Red Dot and Promo are USA made. Promo varies in it's density a bit from lot to lot. You MUST check your drops with a scale. I've used Red Dot for over 40 years and have had few issues with it. All three are good powders, and if cost were not an issue, it would still be hard to choose. Clays meters a little better and is a bit more consistant and cleaner burning. Red Dot and Promo need to loaded at a moderate pressure (about 8.5K to 10K PSI) level to burn cleanly. Green Dot, even more so. Use reliable data and you should be good to go!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Both are fine powders. One is made in the USA and the other one is imported. I do my best to support US made products. We import too much.

Pat Ireland

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, I also agree with PBB as well.I tryed both after reloading a long with Red Dot. I switched over to Hodgdon Clays. Not sure if you are talking about two different companys or both with the Alliant type. I have not tryed Alliant's clays powder. I do find that Hodgdon's Clays powder drops with a very uniform weight and is just as clean if not more that Red Dot. Red Dot drops with a wide spread of differerences in powder weight. Like if you want to drop 17 grains. It may drop like 16.7 to 17.3 grains from hi to low. Its not very consistant that way. But both powders will work well. Good Luck and break-em all. Jeff

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like Clays for 1 ounce loads and Titegroup for 1-1/8 ounce loads.

8. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I just made the switch from Clays to Claydot as the former is imported and the latter is domestic.

hubcap

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

hubcap,

Not trying to stir up trouble, but is your trap gun imported or domestic?

10. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

I'm with Timb99... Often the debate on powders comes up and somebody brings up that one is American made and Clays is made in Australia. The hypocrisy is how many of you are shooting foreign made guns. From your Belgian Browning, your German K80, Italian Perazzi, the list goes on.

In my opinion Australian Hodgdon Clays powder is superior to what Alliant offers, and I'll shoot it in my American made guns, thank you.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

90t3200, I did not even know that Clays powder was even made in Australia!! I never bothered to even check. That said I still agree with you that I think it is a better powder. Jeff

12. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I load Red Dot and have since 1980.It is much cleaner burning now than it was then.There is so much data out there for Red Dot that you can find almost any combo of components for it.I prefer Red Dot for 1oz and Green Dot for 1oz and 11/8oz.I am going to try some promo when my stock runs low.

13. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

timb99 - LOL - my gun is imported, but the Claydot is $10 cheaper for 8 lbs than Clays.

Hubcap

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

red dot and green dot

15. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

darr,

I disagree, see if you can find a Red Dot 1 oz load using Win AA hull, WAA12SL wad, and a Fed 209A primer in Alliant's on-line Reloaders' Guide. Hodgdon's manual says to use 16.9 grs of Clays to get 1180 f/s and 9000 psi.

Pull & Mark,

I too found that Clays drops more consistantly than Red Dot.

Jason

16. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"timb99 - LOL - my gun is imported, but the Claydot is $10 cheaper for 8 lbs than Clays."</blockquote>

Man, if you're seeing only a $10 difference between the two, you're either getting a bargain on Clays or hosed on Clay Dot. Where I buy my reloading supplies, Clays is $108 for 8 pounds while Clay Dot is $82.

Mike

17. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Mac V - Where are you buying your Claydot? I paid $92 at Grafs...........plus I've got to pay sales tax since I'm in state.

Thanks

Hubcap

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Why argue over $10-$20 a jug? Shoot what shoots good for you, and stay with it. What is the savings per box on an 8 pound keg? I would eat at McDanolds for a week, and buy the powder I want.

19. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I'm not shooting it just because its cheap. I'm shooting it because its what I want to shoot. Its clean and has low recoil. But if I can save $10 a jug on the powder I want to shoot - why not save the $10 bucks? If I buy 4 jugs then I can take the wife out for a steak dinner on the $40 that I saved. ;-)

Hubcap

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

When the discussion of supporting powders made in the USA comes up, and it does come up frequently, some always take the position that because many shoot imported guns, it is alright to shoot imported powders.

That logic can be reduced to: Because not everything we buy is made in the USA, then we should not try to support any product made in the USA over an import. If we cannot do everything, then we should not try to do anything.

Clays is an excellent powder. But, so many claim it burns cleaner than another powder made in the USA and the controlled residual burning tests are not as accurate as their quick glance down a barrel. Still others claim that one powder "shoots softer" than another powder, and the laws of physics are incorrect.

I strongly believe in individual choice and others may do as they wish. My personal choice is to support the USA in every way I can. The USA is not perfect, but it is my country.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clays vs red dot

shooting trap with a red dot