1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot vs. Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomr1, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomr1

tomr1 Member

I'm new to reloading and looking for Pro's and Con's of Red Dot vs. Clays. I plan on loading 1 oz. loads for singles/first shot in doubles. Thanks in advance!

2. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Either will work fine. I'd go with the cheapest. Personally I've gone to Alliant Extra Lite for my 1 oz reloads @ 1200 fps. A little goes a long way.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Red Dot is the best and it smells good too. HMN

4. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

It smells the best in paper hulls.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Both will work fine.

I'm partial to Clays.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I use Extra Lite for 7/8 oz loads.....fast clean and no felt recoil. Green Dot for the rest!!

7. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Red dot! Can't beat it and its MADE IN THE USA!! Buy RED DOT for singles GREEN DOT for handicap

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Clays if you can get it at a decent price. Red Dot will do a good job as well.

9. John55

John55 Active Member

I use Clay Dot, best of both worlds!

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I switched from Red Dot to Clay Dot, made by Alliant, and comparable to Hodgdon's Clays. It shoots much cleaner for me and was the same price as Red Dot. Mark

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

tomr1: Stick with RD (tried & true) you'll be happier in the long run. I was given a 4#er of Clays but in cool 35-40 degree temps I'm having getting soft--light recoil--odd sounding loads so will hold it back for summer. Normally use 700X or RD with no problems at any temp.

Maybe Clays just doesn't like my component combo, Noble Sport primer(can't get my usual Rems for the last year)--STS or Gun Club hull--16-17gr Clays as per published data (checked with scale)--pink CB-WW clone or Rem. TGT (I like the TGTs better)--7\8+ shot, this combo works just fine with 700X and RD. Ross Puls

12. chemist

chemist Member

just loaded a bunch of 1.0 oz #8, 17.3 gr Clays, win 209, tgt Claybuster clone, in gun clubs. Used them today at sporting clays and was very happy with performance. Other shooters tried some and they liked them, Should be a good trap load. Switched to clays from american select and red dot just cause I wanted to try different stuff. Good luck

13. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Several of us are using PROMO powder loading to Red Dot weights. I am using 18.7gr for both 1oz and 1 1/8 oz with FIO primers, Duster wads and Nitro27 hulls. Worked fine at -6°F a few weeks ago. My Chrono indicates 1190fps for 1 1/8oz and 1220 fps for 1 oz. ........ Larry

14. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

2+ grains of Clays in my .32 S&W Long ....... you can load a pile of shells with a 8Lb. jug.............

D.P.Reynolds

15. shrek

shrek Active Member

Ross,

I think your cold weather problems are due to Noble sport primers. I have observed problems with bloopers in cold weather with a number of powders with them.

As to the original question, I use Clay Dot or Extra- Lite for 1 oz loads. I can get Clay Dot for less money than Clays and Red Dot. Extra- Lite is also economical due to lower weight needed.

Both have performed very very well for me.

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Red Dot will leave a LOT more black/grey residue behind on your hulls and your hands when you handle spent hulls. In my experience Clays is pretty clean in this regard. Personally I like Clays better, but that is just me.

17. redfin

redfin TS Member

i been using red dot for years,love it. 17 grs works good,very clean.
    joseph

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I use Clays for the first shot of doubles. I wanted a low-recoil 1 ounce load and the most even pattern I could get with a light modified choke. I was not looking for a "hot core" pattern like a handicap load.

The recipe used to be printed with the literature that came with Windjammer wads when they first hit the market. I am not sure I have ever seen it elsewhere.

AA Hull, W209, 17.8 Clays, Windjammer (original 1 1/8 wad or CB4118), approx. 450 grains of hard shot.

If you put in a bit over 1 ounce of shot the crimps will not dish in with the deeper original Windjammer 1 1/8 wad.

I have loaded that since 1996 with good results. Over the years I have backed the powder off .5 grain with no problems (I do not shoot doubles when it is under 50 degrees). So as a rule I now load it with 17.3 of Clays.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clays meters better than any powder I've ever used. 17.5 grains in a one once load is good for any yardage, And super clean, as well as low recoil.

20. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

My information is that Clays and Clay Dot are nearly, if not identical (different mfg.)

...and that Hodgdon sued Alliant over the formula infringement and lost.

It there any validity in this information.

Loading data appears to be the same for both...

Of course..the price is "much" better for Clay Dot...

With lead prices soaring, it is a substantial help to save that much on arguably one of the best target load powders available...yes/no?

Stan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot powder vs extra lite

hogson clays red dot