1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot vs. 700-X: An easy question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skarloey, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

Greetings:
    I've been shooting Red Dot for a couple of years and am happy with it. My friendly local retailer is out of Red Dot at the moment but has 700-X in stock. My question is: Will I be just as happy with 700-X?

My all-purpose load is 1 1/8 oz. 1145 fps. but I do load some 7/8 oz for that game with the crossing targets. I mainly shoot Remington automatics. Yes, I will verify powder drops with a scale.

Thanks.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used 700-X for over fourty years and have used Red Dot just as long. 700-X was the first powder I purchased for shotgun loading. I still have quite a bit of it on hand and it will work just as well as Red Dot in almost all appropriate loadings. I shoot an 1100 and it's never let me down, as long as my load is appropriate. Pressures in the "moderate" (8500 - 10000 PSI) ranges and not too light.

3. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

700-X is a great powder. If it was cheaper, thats probably all I would shoot.

Does your dealer have any PROMO? That's cheap Red Dot and you can use the same recipes.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've chronographed and maintained data on most of the ol' standbys and without failure, 700X is the most consistent performer for standard deviations in my work. Is that all so important? I dunno but I have had a lot of confidence in 700X over the years.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. frank t

frank t TS Member

II have used it for more than 35 years. It is a great powder. It is actually more versitile than red dot becuase it is slightly slower burning.Both are excellent powders but 700X is my choice.

Frank T

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I second the PROMO vote. The reason to reload is to save money, promo will accomplish this.

GS

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Red Dot and 700X have been around a "ton" of years. Both are excellent powders. Can't go wrong with either one. Ed

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

700X is the best powder that is imported from Canada, but I do much prefer Red Dot. Promo does work well but I do not like the inconvenience of having to check the weight of each different lot.

Pat Ireland

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Pat Ireland---Did you say that "700X is the best powder that is imported from Canada"?....What happened to Shawnee Mission, Kansas?...It was my understanding that IMR was now a product of Hodgdon Powder, where did I go wrong in my thinking?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x vs red dot

700x vs reddot
difference between 700x and red dot powder
red dot versus 700x
red dot vs 700x
red dot vs 700x cleaner

red dot vs 700x powder

reddot vs 700x power