1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot versus Promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wayne of PA, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

After years of being away from Red Dot I recently discovered I like using it again. I was just wondering if I can expect a big difference in a level of performance between Red Dot and Promo.

Will Promo drop powder charges as consistent as Red Dot? I really don't have the time to reload like I once did. If consistence and performance level is not as good I would just rather just pay the extra 20.00 for Red Dot. Thanks in advance,

Dale

[​IMG]

2. Beni

Beni Member

Use the Promo but do a 10 drop average to see where your bushing is for accuracy. Beni

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Promo will meter as uniform as Red Dot but different lots of Promo may require a different bushing to drop the load you want.

Pat Ireland

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here is a partial response to a question I asked of Alliant relative to this... I hope they do not mind me sharing their response. I must state that weighing ANY charge is mandatory...

"Promo and Red Dot use the same data grain for grain. You can look at the load recommendations for Red Dot and substitute Promo. As for bushing selection, Promo is denser than Red Dot, so even though you want the same charge wt, Promo will usually use 1 bushing size smaller than required for the same amount of
    Red Dot. Thanks for your note and have a nice day."

Ben Amonette,
    Consumer Service Manager,
    Alliant Powder Company

I would add do NOT just change bushings and assume all is OK - WEIGH the charges so you know what you are 'throwing.'

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I am on my 40th pound of PROMO and I will tell you it is great stuff and Pat is dead on. On my Spolar and PWs I have found an average of 2 tenths grain of variation over 4 separate checks of 10 loads each time within a jug. There are larger variations between lots so every time I open a new jug I measure and adjust as needed to get the charge I want. In my MEC the average went to just over 3 tenths and got much worse if I tried to use a powder baffle (either the red PC or the metal) I suspect that this is because the large grain powders need more "head" to get a consistent fill. I try to do my setup and checks all within the same day that I open the jug because any powder will draw enough moisture after opening to change the average weight being thrown by more than the variation. As an example the last jug of PROMO I opened (lot 050) was dropping 16.9 grains +/-.2 from the bushing I was using and after 2 weeks the drop was 17.3 +/-.2.

--- Chip King ---

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I found lots vary in cleanliness as well as density. Most Promo I used, and I've use probably 10+ jugs, are typically Alliant big flake dirty. My last jug was surprising clean, almost as clean as PB, or Clay. My current jug is dirtier than most.

Drop variance is typical for big flake Alliant powders, i.e. okay, but not great. Red Powder baffles on a MEC do a great job of reducing powder leakage with fine grained powders, but have not helped my drop variance with Promo. In fact my variance is a tad better without the baffles.

7. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I appreciate all the replies. I ended up buying a keg of Red Dot. It was only 15.00 difference. Maybe I'll buy a keg of Promo at the PA State Shoot just to give it try if the price is better. Thanks again,

Dale,
    [​IMG]

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I love Red Dot. I'm shooting 18.5 grains of RD, over a DR TGT 12 wads. This load absolutely destroys clays from the 16.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I usually buy a couple of cases of the same lot number of Promo at the same time. It will vary between lots and sometimes from jug to jug. I see really no practical difference in performance between the two. Red Dot can vary between lots, but usually not as much as Promo. I ALWAYS check my drops when opening a new jug AND at the beginning of each loading session. I will also double check the drops periodically during the loading process. Coarse grained powders can bridge in the bottle or baffle. I don't use a baffle since the second time it did that. Promo is usually a bit denser than Red Dot and can use a bushing a few sizes smaller than that for Red Dot. ALWAYS double check your drops with a scale!

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I have 1 question here.. I've used over 200 pounds of Promo...Other than being cheaper.. and doing exactly the same thing as Red Dot.. what would 1 do differently than any other powder????

We talk about weighing our powder drops and regulating our bushings upon using any new keg..Don't we already do that now with any powder we use???

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

17.5 gr of Promo with 1oz 8.5's broke 99/100 yesterday!

Why pay more?

SW

12. maka

maka Member

Promo all the way. 17.5 gr. in any remington hull w/DR XL-1. Crushes targets. Be sure to check wts. w/scale. All good replys.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

PerazziBigBore

That's sort of my point exactly. I ALWAYS check my drops, no matter what powder I'm using. You will get a little more variation with Promo, but other powders can vary from Jug to Jug. When I say "Always check your drops with a scale", that applies to ALL powders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are red dot and promo the same