1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot Recipe using cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Mason, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

I'm looking for a recipe for loading Red Dot using Cheddite primers and Winchester AA Hulls any help would be great.I am just getting back into the sport of trap as well as reloading after 15 years and am noticing the increase in everything so trying to cut cost without sacrificing quality.

Bob

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I suggest you send an email to Alliant and ask for a comparison of the cheddite primer with Rem 209P, Win 220, etc.

I did, and I got a fairly prompt response from them. In my opinion, their answer would be the one to seek out since they make the powder.

3. Bob Mason

Bob Mason TS Member

Thanks oldremfan i will do that

Bob

4. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I emailed Alliant a while back and they said that you can use load data for Winchester primers for lower pressure loads. They said that although Cheddite and Winchester primers are very similar, they are not exactly the same. Their advice was to avoid swapping primers is the load with the Winchester primer is near max pressure.

I personally don't swap primers if the pressure in the load data exceeds 9000. Anything above that and I use what the recipe calls for. Currently, my load is 17.0 grains of Red Dot in an old style AA hull with a Cheddite primer, DR XL1 wad and 1 ounce of west coast magnum #8 shot. Low on recoil but still crushes targets. If I remember right, this load generates about 8000 PSI with a Winchester primer.

5. doc boc

doc boc Member

Chedites can pretty much just swap out for winchester. i use 17 grains of red dot 7/8 oz winchester or eqivilent wads 7/8 oz of shot and aa or remington hulls with chedite primers. gives you about 1200fts. no pressures issues. you can use 1oz of shot if you like without worry. doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

18 grains of red dot and winchester primers

cheddite load data red dot

cheddite primers load data with red dot

cheddite win aa hull reloading recepr

red dot reloading data with cheddite primers