1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot Question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Browning Man, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

How many grains of Red Dot does it take to make a 1200 fps shell? 1 1/8 loads.

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

That depends on the wad, the primer and the hull being used. Check Alliant's web site for their loading data.

Morgan

3. Rem 1100

Rem 1100 Member

There are other factors to include to make up this 1,200 fps load. What case are you going to use, primer and wad??

Chuck H

4. setter

setter Member

Try This.

5. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Thanks guys, I went to the website. I an using AA hulls, win. primers, with claybuster and windjammer wads, 8 shot.

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You should check the weight of the powder drops with a reloading scale. The bushing charts are only a starting point, especially with Red Dot. I often need to go up one or 2 bushing sizes.

Jason

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Browning Man

The idea is to go to the Alliant Powder site and go through the data, selecting the EXACT components you will be using. You can then look up a reasonable load to develop 1200 fps, if one exists. I would stay away from any the develop much more than 10500psi. Be sure to weigh your powder drops with a decent scale and make sure your shot drops are proper as well. Depending on the EXACT wad you will be using, the charge could vary from about 17 grains on up to about 18.5. Look up the data for yourself and don't rely on second hand information. If you are not sure about how to select a load and assemble shotshells, I'm sure that someone locally that is knowledgeable about such things could help you get started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many grains red dot to get 1150 fps