1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot Powder and Windjammer Load Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by poacherjoe, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

DREW;I have used the following with good results!These are for 1 oz loads
    17.5 to 18 grains red dot or promo
    STS hull or AA
    WW209 or nobel 209 primer
    Downrange Jammer XL-1 or the Windjammer 1 oz. wads
    Also depending on what loader you have sometimes the jammer XL-1 comes out of the bag and the petals are not flared out so I have to press my thumb into it in order to flare it so that after I seat the wad on my PW 800-C and rotate to the next station the shot will fill uniformly! If you are using a grabber you just feed the wad onto the post.
    Some people say all this slows the process to much. My buddy uses them on his spolar without doing any of the above.
    The original windjammer wad has a very good flare right out of the bag.Recobs has both of them.

PJ

Pj

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Drew...... I am loading Promo, which has the same loading data as Red Dot. I am loading STS hulls, Fiocchi primers, 18.7gr. Promo, original Windjammer 11/8oz. wads, and 11/8oz. #71/2 magnum shot. These loads are as good as it gets for long yardage handicap. For singles and first shot on doubles I cut the charge to 16.5gr. Promo but still use the 11/8oz. wad and 11/8oz #71/2 shot. These loads work very well. For many years I stayed away from Windjuammer wads due to the fact that the petals always seemed to fold over or would give me trouble when I tried to load them. Now that they have re-designed the wad so that the petals are attached to each other they are very easy to load and the previous problems are no longer a concern. I really like the wads and will continue to use them as long as I can still get them from Connies at a decent price.......Just my experience........Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I really like the Spolar Gold, DRM Windjammer replacement and Windjammer in that order. I'd buy Spolars if I could find them on the East Coast.

I use STS hulls with STS209 and W209 primers. I've never found a 1 1/8oz load @1150fps using Red Dot, Am Select or Green Dot and those two primers that did not perform well. I particularly like 17.5gr Red Dot.

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Promo only burns clean in high-dollar guns- it burns dirty in Mossbergs.

5. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

The Spolar wads are made from a premium plastic that is superior to plastics found in any other wads. There is a lot more that goes into a wad than just plastic, such as additives that make the plastic thermally stable so they perform in cold weather as well as hot weather, friction additives so that they dont melt and stick to the insides of your barrel and choke tubes, and so on and so forth.

for those who are not on the west coast, I ship from Kansas to all points USA see e-mail address and remove the xxx's

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

My beliefe has always been Red Dot Powder. I shoot 16 Grains of Red Dot 1 oz. #8 for 16's with Claybuster 1100-12 Wad. Smokes em!! I shoot for handycap 17 Grains Red Dot 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2. Rem. Fig8 Wad. Smokes em!! All of this out of a Remington 870 Wingmaster Field Grade Gun 28" Mod. V.R. Barrel double posted. (regular front bead and one center on the V.R.) Going to a little later a 28" full choke V.R. double post. No tubes. The old fashiond barrels. Do not like the choke tubes although I have to say my Grand Daughters little Youth size Mossberg does a great job shooting the 16 Grain Red Dot with 1 oz #8's at 16's. She does a great job with these and she shoots a modified choke tube. She wants to later on that is if she likes shooting the way she does now. For us to get her an 870 and have it fitted to her in 12 gage. She wants to shoot what her Grand Father shoots. She also wants an 1100 to shoot Doubles with. But she wants to see if she is going to like shooting first as she does so far. I also am going to an 1100 for backup as well as shooting Doubles with. Will be looking for that right one out there, but this is in the near future. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

16 grain red dot trap load

trap shooting with red dot and windjammer wads

winjammer wad trap loads red dot