1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot or Green Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I have been reloading 1 oz loads to about 1150 fps using Red Dot. I'm going to start loading some 1-1/8 oz to approximately the same speed and would like to hear about the pros and cons of these two powders for this application.
    Thanks---Bill

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Both will be fine all summer, but come winter, fade over to Red Dot for these light loads especially in straight-walled hulls. All you will be avoiding is occasional odd sounds, though, not losses.

Neil

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I happen to like Green Dot [19.5+] for 1 1/8 oz. loads all year round, but I live in So. CA, so weather is not an issue. Clays International is a good substitute for Green Dot IF you can find any. Fred

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Of the two, I prefer Green Dot because of the softer perceived recoil. I use 19.1gr Green Dot in an STS hull with a W209 primer, Fig-8 wad and 1 1/8ox hard shot for 1150fps. It exactly matches my 1oz load of 17gr Red Dot and TGT-12 wad using the same hull and primer.

I shoot in the winter, down to single digit temps, and I don't have any problems, bloopers, or such. I do keep my shells in the house until it's time to leave for the range.

5. wlc

wlc Member

Is the perceived less recoil with Green Dot something most shooters can feel?
    I have read that Green Dot will pattern slightly tighter at the same velocities, has anyone experimented with this?
    Thanks again

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I use Promo and save $20+ a jug.

I like to keep things simple and as a 23 yard shooter I have no need for anything more than Promo/Red Dot can deliver. I use the same load for everything.

If going 1200-1250 FPS then Green Dot comes into its own.

Don Verna

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

At 1150 fps with 1 1/8 oz, you should be able to find a load with reasonable pressure using Red Dot. Green Dot is a great powder and I would recommend it if going to 1200 fps. Since you probably already have Red Dot, you can try the same powder. I've never felt any difference in recoil between the two powders, given the same amount of shot and velocity. Some people claim that they can. I'm not one of them.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Two great powders. I like Red Dot for the lighter loads and Green Dot for the heavier loads I use in handicap events.

wic- Yes, Green Dot will produce a slighter more dense pattern. I consistently find 7 to 10 more pellets in the inner 20 inches with Green Dot over other powders at the same velocity. I don't know why, it just does.

zzt- If you believe you can feel less perceived recoil with Green Dot, than you should use it. But, I see an opening for a chance to win a Coke from you with a little bet someday. I certainly cannot feel a difference of 3/10,000 of a second between two events I encounter with some time between the events.

Pat Ireland

9. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

Bill, I load Red Dot at around 1150 fps, 1 1/8 oz., Win components and it crushes targets from every yardage. I shoot a Rem 1100. After 200+ rounds the gun is easy to clean. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either powder.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bill, Green Dot actually produces more actual recoil that Red Dot for the same payload and velocity, because you have to use more Green Dot to reach the same velocity. You'll have to go with what your own shoulder tells you. Some can't tell a difference. Of those that do, a large majority say the Green Dot feels softer.

Pat, I'll bet you a Coke, but it has to be a real one. None of this fake diet crap.

11. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks all. I'll probably end up using Red Dot based on what I've seen here (and the fact that I have 24# on hand)

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.