1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot or Green Dot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JC523, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC523

JC523 TS Member

I will need to restock powder before long. I have been using Red Dot all year, but was wondering if I should maybe consider Green Dot?? I am a new shooter (registered anyway), but plan to continue shooting singles, handicap (20 yds) and doubles. I load AA (old style), Remington (STS and Nitro), and Federal Gold Medal hulls. I shoot basically the same shell for everything........1 1/8 oz. @ 1175-1225 fps.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

JC, Red Dot is a good powder for l l/8 oz. loads at 1150 fps. Now if you speed them up to 1200 fps or faster the chamber pressures with Red Dot become to high very fast. This is the reason why shooters use a Green Dot load at 1200 fps to 1250 fps with this powder. You want to keep your pressures of your loads at 10,000 psi or lower. I do not want to load 12 loads with pressure higher than 10,000 psi. or lower than 8,000 psi. To low and you may not get a good complete burn and think that the powder is to dirty, while its just not burning well at the pressure you are loading. Check Alliantpowder.com website for the components your useing and the speeds you want to load at and go from there. You may want to buy both!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with Jeff. Until recently I used Promo for 1145 ft/sec Singles loads and Green Dot for Handicap but now I'm using strictly Green Dot because of concern about the higher pressures of the faster burning powder.

4. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

Both powders are good choices. Red Dot tends to be more appropriate for cold conditions and/or very light loads. Otherwise Green Dot gets the nod, IMHO, especially if one can live with Green Dot's slightly higher charge weights.

Green Dot is the basis for what could still be called "the perfect trap load". the "Don Zutz Wonder Load" (Remington RTL case, Rem 209P primer, 19 grains of Green Dot, Remington FIG-8 wad, and 1 1/8 ounces of magnum shot, # 7 1/2s preferably. Velocity is about 1150 f.p.s. Similar results can be achieved using other primers in the Remington case. Roughly equivalent results can be achieved using many of the same components in the Winchester AA case using slightly lower powder charges. Check Alliant's website and/or manuals.)

This load is the most devastating trap reload that I know of, with murderous pattern cores and almost unbelievably high pattern per centages. It is also the only load that I know of that will consistently pattern "chilled shot" into the mid "70 per cents" at 40 yards. Recoil levels are relatively low, too. This load is the only 1 1/8 ounce load that I have shot that I can honestly claim was comfortable for me to shoot...nice and "smooth", for me, at least.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You might want to consider going to 1 oz loads for everything. Then I would recomend buying Red Dot. If you are going to stay with 1 1/8 oz loads then I like Green Dot, you can also use Green Dot in the 20 guage. HMB

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For the velocities you indicated, Green Dot is the better choice.

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Get both!

I use Green Dot for my 1 1/8 oz loads and Red Dot for my 1 oz. first shot of doubles load.

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I second Rich..... and others

Promo or Red Dot for 1 oz.

Green Dot for 1-1/8 oz.

Buy American!!

SW

9. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is I think Red Dot works great for most trap shells, including 1 1/8 loads. It is all I have ever used and I certainly can't complain about the performance of my reloads. I think there are many others with the same opinion. Nothing against Green Dot, but the adjectives used in one of the posts above are a bit over-the top.

I'm going to work up a handicap load using Green Dot, I will agree it is preferable to Red Dot for the faster shells. For 16s and doubles, I'll stick with Red Dot for now, plus it loads a few more shells per keg.

Green Dot will work for you, probably a good all around choice if you like the faster shells for everything.

10. JC523

JC523 TS Member

Thanks guys! That is what I was expecting to hear. I have closely followed the Alliant data and have been careful to keep pressures in the 9000 range. I think I will get a jug of Green Dot now.

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I use both, but if I had to cut down to one powder,it would be Green Dot. It will work quite nicely with both 1 oz. and 1-1/8th oz. loads. If you happen to be using Remington hulls and Remington primers, you may want to try Windjammer wads. I like them but some people don't because of the 8 petals. You can still have the 1200 FPS and cut the pressure down to 8200 PSI according to the Alliant reloader's guide.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use both but like OldRemFan, if I could only have one, it would be Green-Dot.

Hap

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have to agree with Hap.. if ONLY 1 powder..and I can use Green Dot in many handgun loads too.. but never leave out Unique for the best 1250 fps 1 1/8oz..Which is what I like for long yardage..

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Green Dot for what you mentioned. Red Dot would not do the heavy lifting in the loads you described, without higher pressures than I would like to use. Careful component selection might help that, but Green Dot is the go-to.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm with the other guys, I use both. Made in America too.

Wayne

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Be aware that the Federal casing is a straight wall hull and requires more powder for the performance that you want. I use Red Dot for my 1 oz. load and Green Dot for my 1 1/8 oz. handicap load in AA or STS hulls. You may also use Clays and Clays International to duplicate the same performance. Fred

17. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have used Red Dot from the first day I started reloading and shooting. For the 1 oz. shot loads for 16's & doubles @ 17 grains, #8's. 1 1/8 oz shot loads handycaps, 18 grains, # 7 1/2. All have been Red Dot. I'll sometimes load an 18 1/2 #6's for hunting Ducks & Geese during the first couple weeks of the season. Phenents & Quail I use 7 1/2 shot. For my 357 Mag I load 7.5 grain 148 W.C. I don't shoot many of these but do shoot many, many, 38's Wad Cutters. For the 38's I load 3.0 grains for the 148 grain Wad Cutter. Agin, all Red Dot. For my Jacketed bullets for the 357, 357 or 38's I use Unique with a Hornady HP-XTP 125 grain bullet, for both 38 & 357. I like the flat shooting the 125 gives. For my 30-06 IMR 4895 50 grains on a 150 Grain Bullet. Sometimes I use Blue Dot for different loads. This is mainly in the shot gun loads during later times of a hunt season such as Duck & Geese, Phesant & Quail.
    This is when you have to reach out to touch em. They either fly higher or jump farther out. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly).

18. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I'll bet ya that '06 load is hell on ducks,and geese!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

green dot guail load

green dot load for quail

green dot pheasant loads

green dot quail loads

trap loads red dot powder per load