1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot or E3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Jun 20, 2013.

1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

For 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. loads.

Used plenty of E3 but no Red Dot. Those that have used both - preference?

2. warren

warren Member

I have used both only difference is red dot is not as clean burning good luck in finding either one of them

warren

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

e3 by a mile.

4. alf174

alf174 Member

As of Wednesday at the Ohio State Shoot, E3 was available at Sportsmen's Den for $99, Red Dot was sold out.

5. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

Both good powders, i never understand why people worry about how clean a powder burns, your going to clean your gun anyway, or you should. E3 is great, red dot is also, i use red dot for one ounce loads, Steve

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I use both powders. 18 grains of Red Dot, Federal 209A primer, Claybuster Red 8 wad and 1 1/8 oz. of hard 7 1/2's makes a nice 1145 fps Federal Paper load for my 870 TC Trap.

16.9 of E3 in a Remington STS hull, TGT12S wad, Cheddite 209 primer and 1 oz. of hard 8's makes a nice load for my 11/87 Primier Trap.

To me, both powders are very similar. Red Dot is tried and true and E3 is like Red Dot on steroids with respect to tolerance of temperature extremes and cleanliness,

I used to buy 15 pounds of Red Dot in a large cardboard keg for $60. It was dirty as soft coal but boy did it break targets.

Riding back from a shoot with several hundred Federal Paper empties in the back of my Ford van brings back a lot of favorable memories. The aroma of the paper hulls was great.

If you want to go lighter than 1 oz, I think that Alliant Extra Lite may be the best choice in powders,

Ed Ward

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Both Promo and Red Dot are avail in the 8 lb kegs at Powder Valley. Promo and RD have the same reloading data however RD meters differently and is not as dense as Promo. RD is $15 more than Promo.

Bryan

8. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I looked into this in the spring & ask here & on shotgunworld.com lots of good input. I shoot a 1100 & 11-87 so I was looking for clean & had been using Clays . I called Allaiant powder & talked to Ben & he suggested Red Dot for 1 1/8 oz & 1 oz loads. FYI I asked about E3 also.
    I also read on this site it's performance that counts, why care about clean since one cleans his gun every time it's shot .
    To tell the truth after shooting between 200 & 300 shells useing Clays or Red Dot the magazine tube on my gun looks the same to me & needs cleaning before storage period.
    I did use Red Dot years ago & went to Clays because it was cleaner, today Red Dot is much cleaner & not very different from Clays
    Use to load
    Hull STS
    Powder 17..6. of Clays MEC bushing #32
    Primer Win 209
    Wad. CB WAA12 replacement
    Shot 1 1/8 oz
    Today I'm Loading
    Hull STS
    Primer Win 209
    Powder Red Dot 17.0. MEC. Bushing #31
    Wads. DRXL-1 1/8., Blue Duster, DRHF8 I'm experimenting to see which is best for me.
    Shot. 1 1/8 oz
    Powder Drops are averages I'm getting on MEC 650 & checked on RCBS scale.
    One thing I will say Downrange Wads for me, no more Claybusters to much plastic build up

9. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I like e3

Search tags for this page

difference e3 and red dot

e3 vs red dot