1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot or Clays?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I was a bit wary of Alliant's claim that Red Dot is cleaner burning than before. They made that claim for Unique a few years ago and it seemed pretty dirty to me. So instead of buying Red Dot, I bought Clays. But Clays is more expensive.

Is Red Dot reasonably clean burning?

Thanks!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Red Dot dirt is mostly graphite and a few unburned flakes. It is not "clean", but neither is Clays. Clays dirt is gray and hard to see. It is gritty, that's why I stopped using it.

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

It all depends on your assessment of reasonable, is it as clean as Clays? absolutely not! however is main criteria for me is not gazing down the barrel but the bits of debris that migrates back into the trigger area and as being very abrasive causes havoc, and Green Dot is much worse!. Should you be find Alliant to be a must, American select and their potent e3 offerings are fine. incinerate em!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More 100s in trap fired with Red Dot than any other powder. If the gun gets dirty clean it. Or have your servant clean it, if you have one. Or just buy a new gun. HMB

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but if you use a break-open gun and you clean it periodically, it probably doesn't matter all that much.

If you use a semi-auto, Clays may be a better choice because the residue is finer, and_I suppose_less likely to plug small gas ports. The shells I make are used in my daughter's 1100 as well as my break-gun, and I use Clays. I find her 1100 easy to clean, as long as I use break-free on the mag tube.

I also prefer to use Hodgdon products since they are a local company and I know some of the Hodgdon family. And their products work quite well.

Tim

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Both are fine powders and you can't go wrong with either one. Do not mistake the current Red Dot with the Red Dot of years ago. It is a lot cleaner now. Myself, I can't find a difference between the two. Ed

7. Questor

Questor TS Member

That's good to know. Thanks! The Red Dot is quite a bit cheaper than Clays here.

8. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

My 1100 stays surprisingly clean shooting Red Dot with 1 1/8oz., 1145fps., Winchester components. The last time I cleaned it after 300+ rounds there was not much residue at all. I have no experience with Clays. I doubt you could go wrong with either.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

my deciding factor, I can get clays locally more often than red dot.

10. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

LOCAL COMPANY..............May be and Im sure the folks are fine. Clays, International clays and universal clays are all made in Australia...by the Australian govbernment no less. Red Dot and Clays are both good powders, b ut sometimes pull a white patch thru your barrel after shooting Clays. It has as much residue as any other powder. Like an above poster said its just harder to see. Have loaded red dot for 45 years and never had to sell a gun because it was dirty. But as the doctors wife said "whatever blows your skirt up."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.