1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dot loads for 20g

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Yellahair, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yellahair

Yellahair TS Member

I am looking for loads to use in 20g shells. I use Red Dot in the 12g and would like to keep it simple and use it in the 20g also. I want to load something that is not too hot for kids to start shotgun bowling this summer and bunnies this winter. Shotgun bowling - set up 10 pins and stand back at various yardages to see who can knock down the most pins. It is great for kids because they can see results when they shoot.

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

You are having a hard time finding published loads for Red Dot in the 20 gauge because it really has too fast a burning rate for that use. It isn't a good choice. If you want to stick with the Alliant powders, then Alliant Unique is a very good powder for 7/8 ounce 20 gauge loads. Another popular choice is Hodgdon Universal Clays.

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Another guy that knows just enough about reloading to be dangerous.

Green Dot is about the fastest burning powder you want in 20 ga loads, and even then the pressures it generates can cause problems in skeet guns with sub gauge tubes in them. Red Dot is not suitable for the 20 ga, period.

You wanna reload 20 ga? Go buy some Unique or 20/28.

~Michael

4. CharlieP

CharlieP TS Member

Back when Hercules made Red Dot, many millions of 20 ga were reloaded with it. As best I can remember, with AA hulls and wads and Win primers, 7/8, it was 16 gr. , pressure was about 9500, and chronographed about 1150 fps.

Whether red Dot is the same powder today I do not know.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Using the wrong powder is not simpifying things. Same powder for both gauges, you are going to do some serious compromising on efficiency on one end or the other. There's too many good choices in powders nowdays to be using the wrong one just for simplicity.

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Charlie P, I'm sure you're confusing Red Dot with Unique. Look at Alliant's current data (which doesn't even contain 20 ga. data with Green Dot in AA hulls anymore) and you will see that it is close to the data you qouted. AA Hull, AA Wad, AA Primer, 15 gr Unique, 7/8 oz shot = 1155 fps at 10,200 psi.

Fastest powder Alliant has reload data for in the 20 ga is American Select, and that is with 3/4 oz loads, and the pressures are up there.

~Michael

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Alliant 20/28, Hodgdons Universal Clays.

8. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Since you mentioned light loads I would recommend 11.5 -12.0 grs of red dot with 3/4 oz of shot. Use a orange duster wad for economy sake or better yet a WW new type wad. Works well in both remington and winchester hulls. This is a published load. DO NOT load 7/8 oz with red dot. I have used this load with promo for several years in tubes. Not one problem and don't think there ever will be because there is no pressure issues to be had. If you pop over to shotgunworld you can research this in great detail.

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Published by who?! I'd bet Alliant didn't publish that load, and doesn't recommend using it.

A few years ago Lyman use to have published recipes with WSF in the 28 ga. Winchester does not recommend using WSF in the 28 ga, even though it's in the right burn speed range. They said in their testing that the pressures were erratic (sorta like the pressure data on Case's 28 ga Promo loads), and I've read at least one story at shotgunworld.com of a 28 ga loaded with WSF blowing up.

Shotgun shells are not for the wildcatter. And when I'm loading with an Alliant powder, I'll stick with Alliant's data.

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.